Preliminary Galapagos Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Will Rogers,

Most won't allow someone as inexperienced as your children onboard unless you are on a boat that can accommodate a private guide and you are willing to hire a private guide. From July until mid Nov, currents can be challenging in Galapagos. It's the roughest time of the year to dive, however, the absolute best time of year for marine life. Yes, schools of hammerheads can be more than you can possibly count. That's also when whale sharks are at Darwin and Wolf. It's astounding diving, but you do need experience to be comfortable in challenging conditions. It does not sound like your children are there at this point.

You could do a couple of daily dives in Santa Cruz. As of now, they don't even have enough experience to dive Gordon Rocks in the central islands. You would do better taking them elsewhere and letting them get more experience under their belts before tackling Galapagos on a liveaboard.

If you are choosing between a land based experience and a naturalist cruise, you'll get more from the naturalist cruise, especially if it's a western itinerary - including Fernandina and the western side of Isabela. Like liveaboards, many of the best land sites are also only accessible from a cruise. Snorkeling is almost always included, but no diving.

3 weeks gives you enough time to explore a lot of Ecuador. The Amazon lodges tend to have specific days they depart on, so you should probably anchor your trip with the Galapagos cruise and from there, sort out the Amazon then fill in from there. You usually fly to the Amazon from Quito, then take a dug out canoe from one of the air strips. Also, google Mindo Cloud Forest, Papallacta Hot Springs, Cotopaxi, Otavalo, Cuenca and Banos or Tena for whitewater rafting. 4 worlds / 1 country isn't the slogan for nothing.

Thank you so much for the very helpful responses.

As I suspected, the diving my wife and I would like to do is just not doable for our kids at this juncture. I think the Wolf/Darwin liveaboard will have to wait. Sigh. One of the last destination I really want to visit.

But, the combination of a naturalist cruise, main land Ecuador and the Amazon does sound like a great adventure in and of itself. I will keep researching and pick up a guidebook as well. Thanks especially DTG for the great suggestions.

Will

Plans are starting to gel. With some great help from the friendly folks on TA (thanks Tina!), I think we are close to booking a 8 day naturalist cruise next June. That cruise will likely leave/return from Baltra.

Considering flying in a day early and maybe get a day trip in for a few tanks with my brand new teen divers. Would this be easy to arrange in advance? Any reasonable chance of seeing hammerheads? Is Gordon Rocks the logical day trip choice from Santa Cruz?

Many thanks!

Will

Hmmm. Just did a little more research. Not sure my kids have the requisite experience for Gordon Rocks. Their previous dives were warm, high visibility, calm and currentless. I'll keep looking, but may need to try another destination. Would love to see some hammerheads!! :)

Hi Will. I had stated that above, that their experience level is insufficient for Gordon Rocks, too. I recommend Mosquera. It's not difficult diving and I've always seen more hammerheads there than Gordon Rocks anyway...when they're there. Contact Scuba Iguana or Academy Bay in Santa Cruz.

Thanks so much. You did indeed.

I'll reach out to them when we get our plans further sorted.

Will

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom