S-2000 and optical cable or TTL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Killercavecow

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ordered a D4 and S-2000 today to go with my TG-5/PT-58.

My question is about an optical cable. Will the TTL fire off of the external flash alone, wireless, or do I need an optical cable as well?

What conditions warrant using the cable, and when can you get away just using the slave off the strobe?

Does anyone have experience with this set-up?

Thanks.

Have you checked the manual?

Sure, I read through them tonight. But, I just was looking for some practical experience with the two. I ordered the strobe set up, but not the optical cord. So, I was feeling out if I could make do w/o it for right now, or if I need up giddity up go and order a cord to go along with it.

I have seen cableless setups before, but that one had a sensor on an arm connected to the stroke which was placed so it could see the camera flash and trigger.. But most people use a cable for ttl.. We use the ys-01 and 3 both with cable

can't really comment on your particular setup but using the optical cable will give you the most consistent results along with avoiding you strobing every time during wireless if it sees a flash of light - an easy way to burn up the board if you forget to power off coming to the surface (it happened to me). You can build your own optic cable cheaper ($25ish vs. $40-$90) than buying a branded one. Getting the adapters is the $$ part. Look in the DIY section here and online and go to eBay for the tos link cable and adapters.

Thank you both. That's good insight about burning up the board. Thanks.

You can use the S2000 without a cable (I use them all the time as slaves) but if you forget to turn it off at the surface (as Snowdog says) it will just sit and fire from sunlight. There are lots of ways to build your own fiber cables if you want to save a bit of money.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom