Change in management at CCV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I say, get rid of asinine trolls.
Personally, I lived in Switzerland for 2 years. Most workers, restaurant, etc, were paid a living wage for the work they were doing. The price was included in the price you paid. Tips were elective only for extraordinary service. I wish this was the way it worked in the scuba industry, I would be glad to pay up front rather than feeling like I owed a tip to the poorly compensated staff.

If we're gonna make suggestions - really wish they'd do 2 dives elsewhere from the boats instead of the second dive always a drop off.

I've heard this before and I understand. That said, you can drop on either wall at any distance from the resort or directly on the wreck. You can dive them deep or up on top. I always seem to find something new. It is also an A to B dive as opposed to an out and back. The big deal for me is the bottom time. If its a boat dive then the 60 minute limit kicks in. I like my 100+ minute drop off dives. It's like a beach dive that I only need to walk one way.
Then there is the timing. If the boat stayed out for the second dive then the crew would have a hell of time prepping for the afternoon dives and feeding themselves. That is why most resorts are 2 or maybe three dives a day.

Reactions: Doc
I think snarky gregm11 is just trying to start some s*** :troll:he probably knows CCV has a big following here and on FB. I was just stirring the pot a little:stirpot:

Nope. Look at his limited post history. I think he is highly opinionated and in NO WAY stirring the pot. I think his worldwide experience base might be limited, but I like his posts. He has ample experience at CCV.

Get a few faster boats and go to sites with less dive pressure

For 5 years, they have this one checked off. Problem? Guests won't sign up for this extra Sea Mount (etc) trip, apparently they don't want it. IIRC it's $35, which by island standards is cheap, but it's still the same rough trip.

"Dive Pressure", after my many years of diving...that's a very beleivable "tropical myth". It's all about terrestrial run-off and siltation, more caused by local land development. It goes hand in hand with increased divers, but actual diving isn't causing it.

Drinking with dive guides is fun , wish we could drink with your dive guides

Then invite them to join you. They can usually find time 3:00-4:30. Tell me how it goes. I'll be finishing Dive #4 and won't drink before or even miss a NIGHT DIVE.

Get rid of all the local entertainment, it's a waste of time

I might agree but I'm busy night diving. That's my solution. What were you doing being all dry?

Get more young people to come to your resort, it feels like a retirement community

It attracts divers with advanced skill sets. Deeper pockets. Night diving, not night life.

Use fast boat to take people to west end for lunch after a dive, people are missing out not seeing west end .

CCV does this with two West End dive sites and then lunch. To date, I have quite successfully avoided it. They should spend a week at West End next time. Suck up some island vibe instead.

Get rid of the tipping system

I read your previous post in a different thread. You have a vey unusual method for tipping that is a difficult model to make the existing Caribbean tipping model conform to.

On another subject- that same old dive twice a day? Take a diver with great macro skills of observation, add in a daily change of depth ranging from 2 to 35 feet, I'll show you a happy diver.

The problem is.... Very few divers possess that desire and skill for the level of macro (much less the micro offered by the drop-off dive) and even fewer divers will limit their depth to those shallows. There are amazing things to see, but you gotta know how to see. Most divers who do the drop off dives look as if they're in a race against their SPG's which are being firmly clutched and stared at.

CCV is great for "beginners" with easy access and conditions...it's great for "Advanced" divers with perfect buoyancy and close-in observational skills. Perfect night diving in the Caribbean.

For "Intermediate" divers...not so much. If you are still captivated by lobsters and big fish, lots of fish, shapes in the coral and caverns, you might want to come back when you're done with that phase.

Good to hear , it's good to clean house

That suggests there was a problem which there was not. Ownership would have prefered them to have stayed, but as I said earlier, this exit was in the plans from Day One. Paradise gets to be a little much after ten years. To keep that Three Ring Circus at the consistent quality it has been since 1984... You try it.

Last edited:
I've heard this before and I understand. That said, you can drop on either wall at any distance from the resort or directly on the wreck. You can dive them deep or up on top. I always seem to find something new. It is also an A to B dive as opposed to an out and back. The big deal for me is the bottom time. If its a boat dive then the 60 minute limit kicks in. I like my 100+ minute drop off dives. It's like a beach dive that I only need to walk one way.
Then there is the timing. If the boat stayed out for the second dive then the crew would have a hell of time prepping for the afternoon dives and feeding themselves. That is why most resorts are 2 or maybe three dives a day.
Some resorts routinely do two tank dives twice per day. A good example would be Ocean Frontiers on Grand Cayman. They also do two night dives per week.

Ok, maybe it would bee cool to keep the normal rotation on 3 boats and 3 boats take the drift dives or let's see what happens dives.. one of my all time favorite dives was at the cayman dive lodge, someone got sick and they brought that diver back to the dock... they went back out and dumped the rest of us off in the current... we covered like 5 sites on that drift dive and it was great... cocoview is almost too routine... cocoview wall is fantastic but the other dives are just ok.... too much run off, too much grab, too much dive pressure . It would be cool to abandon the norm and take us to some random place and then drop us off way out on cocoview wall

I definitely know cocoview, even before the rooms have air conditioners... i mean Brion is ok but the night manager is lame. The entire routine of taken guest out 5 minutes from the resort is getting old. The house reef is awesome but you are better off spending a little bit more and going to grand cayman. I love cocoview but I think they isolate you from the rest of the island so you do t get a true Roatan experience. They should offer to partner with mangrove inn or someone to split first timers up so they get a feel for what they want. The reefs are also in really bad shape compared to 20 years ago when I first visited cocoview, it's good but overpriced

It would be cool to abandon the norm and take us to some random place and then drop us off way out on cocoview wall

On the way to Dive 2 or 4, pick either (most don't understand this is entirely optional) CCV wall or Newmans wall, and then say, "ENDURO". Have a slug of water, you'll need it, then jump in for a lengthy thrash.

Have the dive you want. I usually get BTs of 1:30 but I'm real shallow.

Here's a real good CCV tip. If it's calm and flat, do a Long long ENDURO over CCV wall, but stay on top in 10fsw. You will see amazing dazzling soft and hard corals. 99% of divers never ever see this brilliant aquarium. Most all....Gotta go deep.

Turn up the iPad at the bar, no one wants to hear the crappy covers and worthless local talent

Back
Top Bottom