Trip Report CoCo View Resort - August 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curious what your thoughts would be on the experience of going solo? Not diving solo, but just going without a companion. I'm guessing that like most resorts its very couple focused, but without much to do other than diving I can't imagine brining my non-diving partner. But I wonder if outside of guided boat dives it would be difficult to sync up with buddies for shore dives. If I was solo certified would that even be an option off the shore?
@mje113 , as this was my first visit to CCV, I'm not the best source to ask. Maybe @Doc has thoughts on this.

I would definitely not say CCV is "couples focused," because a lot of the people I met were there with friends. There was a group of five (?) guys on our boat who apparently take a dive trip together every year. Although I tend to take these trips with my wife, having a group of dive travel buddies like that would be awesome. Since every guest is assigned to the same boat for a week, I have to imagine a single diver would have little problem making friends for shore dives.

CCV just started actually checking c-cards maybe 15 or 20 years ago- up until then you showed up and you went diving. The general mantra there still continues... If you act like an adult …go Dive like an adult— they won’t bother you -just be smart don’t do anything stupid and you can do anything you want.

There is no check for solo diving certifications, (whatever that means) I solo Dive constantly, but I do know the lay of the land underwater very well. It’s really easy to figure out- it’s really easy to understand - it’s impossible to get lost if you bothered to take the time to understand the geography and the simple man-made landmarks that are there for you to navigate with .

IMG_5421.jpeg

I try to keep my night shore dive buddy groups to a max of 2x3. The best use for a buddy at CCV is another set of eyes for critter spotting. It’s easy to find or be another diver to tag along.

It's crazy shallow and very close to shore.

As i’ve always said, all the air you could want is just above your head, and your room? It’s right over there.

This is simple

This place sounds amazing. Curious what your thoughts would be on the experience of going solo? Not diving solo, but just going without a companion. I'm guessing that like most resorts its very couple focused, but without much to do other than diving I can't imagine brining my non-diving partner. But I wonder if outside of guided boat dives it would be difficult to sync up with buddies for shore dives. If I was solo certified would that even be an option off the shore?
I'm SDI Solo Diver certified, and I did solo shore and some drop-off dives during my CocoView Resort stay May 2021. They had some shore excursions you can sign up for. Unlike the other persons is a dedicated snorkeler, it wouldn't be my first choice to bring a non-diver, but it could be one. I also traveled solo; the single supplement was surprisingly modest, and I was fine staying there alone for a week.

I don't know your prior experiences with resorts, but I will say this...dive 'resorts' often aren't quite what the term 'resort' calls to mind. When I hear 'dive resort,' I think 'hotel with an onsite dive op. with a mostly diver customer base.' I don't expect extensive entertainment offerings, etc...

I'm SDI Solo Diver certified, and I did solo shore and some drop-off dives during my CocoView Resort stay May 2021. They had some shore excursions you can sign up for. Unlike the other persons is a dedicated snorkeler, it wouldn't be my first choice to bring a non-diver, but it could be one. I also traveled solo; the single supplement was surprisingly modest, and I was fine staying there alone for a week.
Ah this is interesting to know. Maybe I will pursue solo at some point. Did you use redundant air? I'm completely comfortable traveling solo so unless I can rope a friend in at some point maybe I'll look into this.

I don't know your prior experiences with resorts, but I will say this...dive 'resorts' often aren't quite what the term 'resort' calls to mind. When I hear 'dive resort,' I think 'hotel with an onsite dive op. with a mostly diver customer base.' I don't expect extensive entertainment offerings, etc...
Haha yeah I get it with "dive resort". Honestly my needs are pretty simple, I don't need anything fancy or too focused on entertainment. I'd like a bar, decent food, people to talk to, but mostly my book for entertainment. In ways this almost sounds like a wash with a live aboard as far as the "resort" aspect. Was there opportunities to leave the resort and explore a bit?

Did you use redundant air?
I use a Spare Air 3 cf tank; they get a lot of mockery on SB, but in most cases I have the option to go directly up and can shoot an SMB. It's light, not cumbersome and I can take it with me. I greatly prefer this to trying to pack along a larger pony bottle. I think there's now a 6-cf Spare Air, and if I were buying today, I might would get that instead, just in case.

On the surface, mine is good for maybe 40 breaths, breathes a bit more difficultly than my usual regulator, and would be intended to make heading up less stressful.

This is one of those things were you want to know the pro.s and con.s and make your own choice. It's not enough gas for someone on the bottom to retrace their path from the farthest point in the dive to the point of entry, for example. A 'rock bottom' purist wouldn't be happy with it; I am.
Was there opportunities to leave the resort and explore a bit?
I walked around the grounds and saw iguanas, hermit crabs, bats and watched a basilisk lizard run on its back legs. The resort is on an islet, so you don't be wandering around the mainland just on foot. There are paid excision options, and the islet is easily big enough to get out and stretch your legs. My notes:

CocoView Trip Report May 2021 - Trip Report - CocoView Resort May 8-15, 2021

My Research Notes from planning a Roatan Trip - My Research Notes from Planning Roatan Trip

Was there opportunities to leave the resort and explore a bit?
As Richard said, CCV is on an "islet," so in order to leave the grounds you need to hop on one of their boats making the two-minute hop across the channel. Most people dive dive dive and do not leave the resort. I got the impression the excursions CCV offered were mostly to give people something to do the afternoon before their day of departure, after getting their gear ready for the trip home. I was slightly tempted by the brewery tour, but instead we just hung out at CCV's bar. There were a few non-diving spouses/partners around, and I believe some of them managed to get out and see more of Roatan.

I am not solo-certified…that said, the DMs have no issue dropping me solo for the drop-off dives (including on dives where I’m the *only* one doing the drop-off, so def no illusions on what exactly’s happening here). Nobody asks or cares if you shore dive alone. Even if I start with buddies, I usually surface (by prior agreement!) alone - all I’ve gotten from DMs and CCV staff is a friendly wave as I make my way back to the dive lockers by myself. My sense is that solo diving is quite common among experienced divers at CCV, and very much tacitly permitted. I’ve never been asked to buddy up with another diver for the guided dives, although I *have* been asked to keep an eye on newer divers, on the drop-offs especially. If you want a buddy, they’ll find one for you, but it doesn’t seem to be a requirement.

The majority of my trips to CCV have been alone; request the red or yellow boat if you’re traveling by yourself - all the boats are great but you’re more likely to find experienced repeat visitors on those boats who will be up for night and shore dives. I’ve never had any trouble at all finding folks to dive with, if I want to - just tell folks on your boat that you’re looking for a night/shore dive (or walk around at lunch/dinner and ask!).

request the red or yellow boat if you’re traveling by yourself - all the boats are great but you’re more likely to find experienced repeat visitors on those boats who will be up for night and shore dives.
Thanks for the advice! Just curious why are the more experienced visitors on those boats? Is it because they are requesting them?

Patty offers the PDI self-reliant cert course at CCV. Has a small stash of 19s for the course. Depending on schedule, I think she may require at least two to do it though.

Thanks for the advice! Just curious why are the more experienced visitors on those boats? Is it because they are requesting them?
Yep. People have their favorite DMs and boats, and often request a specific boat when booking. One reason CCV is so popular is that they employ local dive staff who have been with the resort for literally decades; many of the current DMs grew up on the resort, and had family that worked there before them. The same DMs always work the same boats; and when you go multiple times, they get to know you and you get to know them. The resort encourages those relationships.

So you have folks who are fans of Kirk/David on the yellow boat, Ruben/Marcos on the blue boat, etc etc. I always request the same DM but have been on most of the boats (for one reason or another), and the crew on the other boats nearly always run over to say hi when I get to the docks...feels like family!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom