Thoughts on Coco View Resort, Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Catito

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for recent information related to Coco View. Specifically:

State of the reefs
State of the “no see ‘ems”
Fish: abundance and variety
Food at the resort
Best time of year to dive

Thanks

I haven't been there, but you might also look at the CoCoview divers facebook page. There are alot of people on it.

Reactions: Doc
There are two recent and excellent trip reports found on the Roatan page. I used both as a guide for planning my November trip to Coco View.

Reefs: Lots of bleached reefs.
No see ums: We avoided the worst by having 10%-25% deet spray handy outside our room for when we stepped outside and in our dive locker for when we returned from dives. We would peel wetsuits, spray, then rinse gear and analyze tanks for the next set of dives. I wore long sleeves a lot and many people fully covered up always when outside. When there's a breeze, the no see-ums are a nonissue.
Fish: not super fishy reefs, but still very nice. Many large schools of wrasses. Saw a really cool school of atlantic spade fish. Plenty of juvenile drums and trunk. Lots of good macro, such as blennies, to find.
Food was very good. Not gourmet. Simple and tasty. Nice variety. A really great feature is that they will box a meal for you if you miss dinner because you are on a night dive.
We went Thanksgiving week, which is the end of the rainy season. We were fortunate that it only rained at night and the wind stayed calm to no existent all week. The weeks prior were rainier for sure.

We had a great week. It's like being at camp for diving.

Dealing with the airport terminal - both arriving and departing - is agony.

Dealing with the airport terminal - both arriving and departing - is agony.
The RTB airport is annoying.

If CCV is managing your pickup and departure, you’ll have no understanding of how CCV will shape that experience to your benefit, and CCV exclusively.

The days when CCV employees defacto ran the airport program and process are gone, but CCV adapted by concentrating on your baggage handling. You point at it and walk away (or the baggage guys see those “pink tags” and make it happen)

Upon exit, your bags will be removed from your room and you’ll next see them lined up at the airport check-in counter. You might have to move them 15 feet. In 40 some trips, i have NEVER carried my bags.

As mentioned above there has been bleaching of the reefs. During my visit in late august I noted that dropping down the walls a bit (30-ish feet?) usually provided a relatively untouched environment. The Coco View channel was still in pretty good condition too, but let me be clear I am not referring to the shallow coral heads that border the front yard, but the channel is good muck diving.

the bugs. That’s a big it depends. This past visit they were plentiful for the first couple of days, then were almost nonexistent for the rest of the stay. the Weird part? That first couple of days I was definitely bitten , but had almost zero reaction. There are plenty of coping strategies, but the best one, I think, is maximizing time underwater 😎

Best times to go? I favor August and September myself. I’ve had good trips in March and April, but I think there is more fishy action later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom