Question Roatan - Land-based or Liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bjd001

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm trying to decide between a land-based or liveaboard trip to Roatan this year. Wondering if it is worth the extra $$ for the liveaboard to visit dive sites in Utila and do more dives overall? Have you been diving there recently? Are the dives sites very different from what I'd see diving from Roatan? I've done both land-based and liveaboard trips in many other locations and have enjoyed both. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

I just got back in January from my third trip on the Roatan Aggressor. Up to 5 days per day to include night dives. Setup your gear once for the week. Great crew and food. Is pit worth the extra, for me it is. I have been on 29 Aggressor trip, multiple locations, have always had a great time. I go on vacation to dive and get away. Aggressor works for me.

The only comparable to the Roatan Aggressor is Coco View. $3200>3500(+) vs $1900 (inclusive) from a quick search

CCV sits on the South side of Roatan, exactly where any liveaboard is forced to stay because of: 1) wind and wave, and 2) high fuel costs. (Do not begin to count on Utila, Seamounts or Cayos)

The ship does not move to any different u/w experiences as much as the hype would infer.

Both have their die hard fans, very few have done both. I’ve done the Bay islands 3x shipboard, 30x at CCV.

Liveaboard has less sand fles, CCV doesn’t rock.

On all 3 of the trip I took on the Roatan Aggressor we got to Utila, Seamounts and Cayo

The only comparable to the Roatan Aggressor is Coco View. $3200>3500(+) vs $1900 (inclusive) from a quick search

CCV sits on the South side of Roatan, exactly where any liveaboard is forced to stay because of: 1) wind and wave, and 2) high fuel costs. (Do not begin to count on Utila, Seamounts or Cayos)

The ship does not move to any different u/w experiences as much as the hype would infer.

Both have their die hard fans, very few have done both. I’ve done the Bay islands 3x shipboard, 30x at CCV.

Liveaboard has less sand fles, CCV doesn’t rock.
Thanks! Land-based thru my LDS is at Anthony's Key Resort.

Thanks! Land-based thru my LDS is at Anthony's Key Resort.
AKR is pricier ($23-2500) than CCV. The AKR “ai” dive package is limited to 20 dives. Comparing AKR to RoAgg is oranges/tangerines.

CCV and Aggressor both easily present you with 27 dives as they promise.

@Mike_4635 The itinerary of the liveaboard is totally weather dependent. Looking at the weather apps, that ship in no way has left the lee of the South side this week nor for the last two months. See this at Windfinder.com - Wind, waves & weather forecast Roatán International Airport (Bird's-eye view)

IMG_0712.jpeg

IMNSHO the underwater architecture variation is not significant enough to warrant this. Cayos is a 30 mile round trip, the only outstanding variant is a local seamount that is very exposed to wave. Utila has it’s fans, but comparatively, i don’t get it (another 30 mile cross wind trip). I enjoy the Roatan Seamount, does the RoAgg still pay the fee to dive there? The ship does get you to the South side East end, but so does CCV.

If you watch the Web Cams - CoCo View Resort webcam, you can see the RoAgg anchored off it’s shore for fully 3/7 days. On other days, you might spot it heading back and forth East/West. You get to see a lot of the South side which i believe is the best of Roatan, but at what price comparatively?

Rabid fans for each, but very very few have done both.

AKR is pricier ($23-2500) than CCV. The AKR “ai” dive package is limited to 20 dives. Comparing AKR to RoAgg is oranges/tangerines.

CCV and Aggressor both easily present you with 27 dives as they promise.

@Mike_4635 The itinerary of the liveaboard is totally weather dependent. Looking at the weather apps, that ship in no way has left the lee of the South side this week nor for the last two months. See this at Windfinder.com - Wind, waves & weather forecast Roatán International Airport (Bird's-eye view)

View attachment 828036

IMNSHO the underwater architecture variation is not significant enough to warrant this. Cayos is a 30 mile round trip, the only outstanding variant is a local seamount that is very exposed to wave. Utila has it’s fans, but comparatively, i don’t get it (another 30 mile cross wind trip). I enjoy the Roatan Seamount, does the RoAgg still pay the fee to dive there? The ship does get you to the South side East end, but so does CCV.

If you watch the Web Cams - CoCo View Resort webcam, you can see the RoAgg anchored off it’s shore for fully 3/7 days. On other days, you might spot it heading back and forth East/West. You get to see a lot of the South side which i believe is the best of Roatan, but at what price comparatively?

Rabid fans for each, but very very few have done both.
I suggest you go look at the Dec 30 Roatan Aggressor adventure log. I have the log for the trip along with the locations.

I suggest you go look at the Dec 30 Roatan Aggressor adventure log. I have the log for the trip along with the locations.
I just did.

The RoAgg dove the exact same dive sites as available from land based options with the one bonus additions of Cayos Cochinos (the Sea Mount only).

Is that worth the extra $12oo-15oo?

I would do it if you were guaranteed to be visiting sea mounts and Cayos but they stop at pretty mundane sites around Utila (one of them 50 yards from my house).

The Roatan Aggressor trip I was on was by far my least liked of my 13 trips with the company. I wouldn’t do it again.

Back
Top Bottom