Using a camera on Stuart Cove's Shark Dive

Does Stuart Cove's allow cameras on shark dives?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but no flashes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A friend just posted pictures from Stuart Cove shark dive taken today so I guess they do allow divers to take cameras.

I truly do not want something that outweighs me, can exponentially outswim me, and is far better adapted to seeing and hunting in the underwater environment, to view me as somehow associated with his dinner.
Well said!

I have my own thoughts on this shark feeding, though I am no expert on sharks, or any part of this sport.

I have not dived Stuart Cove, but I have done the hammerhead dives off of Bimini with Neil Watson, and it was a spectacular experience, BUT I really have to question the entire concept of teaching predators to see us as any part of the food chain...

... My observation is that even when we have been diving near sharks, except for certain obviously dangerous situations, we have traditionally been safe because humans have NOT been seen as any part of the food chain.

I fear that we are in the process of changing this dynamic. By feeding sharks, to bring them close, by feeding Lionfish to predators on the reef, we are teaching some very dangerous creatures that mankind is now a part of their food chain, and that may have a serious downside.

I truly do not want something that outweighs me, can exponentially outswim me, and is far better adapted to seeing and hunting in the underwater environment, to view me as somehow associated with his dinner.
There was a case a few years ago where this exact thing happened. IIRC, there was a dramatic increase in people getting bitten by Oceanic White Tips near a resort in the Middle East. (I might be wrong, but I seem to remember that it might have been Sharm el Sheik.) The people were getting bitten once, and always on their bum. Then, the shark would move on. After a couple weeks, a video appeared on youtube from someone's dive trip that showed the dive operator pulling fish out of a fanny pack and hand feeding the sharks. The sharks had learned that the source of the fish was the diver's butt and they were going for it.

Luckily, none of the divers who were bitten were injured seriously, but the practice of keeping fish in a fanny pack stopped immediately.

There was a case a few years ago where this exact thing happened. IIRC, there was a dramatic increase in people getting bitten by Oceanic White Tips near a resort in the Middle East. (I might be wrong, but I seem to remember that it might have been Sharm el Sheik.) The people were getting bitten once, and always on their bum. Then, the shark would move on. After a couple weeks, a video appeared on youtube from someone's dive trip that showed the dive operator pulling fish out of a fanny pack and hand feeding the sharks. The sharks had learned that the source of the fish was the diver's butt and they were going for it.

Luckily, none of the divers who were bitten were injured seriously, but the practice of keeping fish in a fanny pack stopped immediately.
I guess that could have ended much much worse if they had the fanny packs swung around to the front. Lol

I don't disagree with what's been said, and wouldn't recommend circumventing Stuart Coves' rules, however I notice how we're so conditioned by authority/society/liability to approach things in terms of what we're allowed to/not allowed to do?

As SCUBA Divers we are all taught to be responsible for our own safety and those we dive with. The people to tell us what to do/not do won't be on the dive with us if it doesn't go well. Plus, aside from safety, when we spend our time and money to do something perhaps our focus should be on getting the most from the experience.

So perhaps a better question is "If you've done the shark dive, would you recommend taking a large camera?"

Some things to consider:
1. Safety. What they are concerned about are sudden moves, and limbs sticking out. If you do take photos, keep your arms tucked at your side and slowly raise the camera. Do NOT hand the camera to your friend to get a shot of you.

2. Balance. You will be neg buoyant, so if you get off balance due to your camera, you will quickly learn that without hand sculling (NO waving hands) you'll go all the way over, and must wait there on your side until the dive master comes and props you back up. Do you really want to be *that* guy?

3. Being in the moment. There are few things in life as dramatic, powerful, and awe-inspiring as being in the middle of a school of 20+ feeding sharks. Allow your mind and your psyche to absorb the whole experience. You want all synapses on the experience, not f-stop, ISO, exposure, and for heaven's sake, don't watch the whole experience in the little LCD display :\ (When I see rows of parents watching their child's big performance in a 3 inch screen, I want to rip them out of their hands and say "watch your kid, they're right there! - but maybe that's just me)

4. It's very much a "3D" experience. A major part of the experience is the sharks swimming all about you. Hard to capture that in a flat image. I wouldn't recommend bringing your Oculus :wink:

5. Pro photos. They have a pro photographer in chainmail who is getting great shots of the whole group, from angles you can't get. He's free to move around and will make sure to get some stunning photos of you and your group. I'd talk to him in advance and say "I'm almost certainly going to buy the photo package" he will appreciate knowing he's got a customer, and make sure he gets lots of you.

That being said I had my camera with me, because the only shots you get are those when you have your camera, and you never know. I raised the camera and took a few, but for the most part I just absorbed an absolutely amazing experience.
michael-w-sharks.jpg

Last edited:
2. Balance. You will be neg buoyant, so if you get off balance due to your camera, you will quickly learn that without hand sculling (NO waving hands) you'll go all the way over, and must wait there on your side until the dive master comes and props you back up. Do you really want to be *that* guy?
For some reason, the mental image this draws to mind is hilarious. Great tips though. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Back
Top Bottom