Cabilao Sanctuary (Cabilao Island, Bohol) Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bearkeley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
IMG_1425.JPG Enjoying the sunset on our last day of diving before we head back home, so thought we'd share our review of Cabilao Island and Cabilao Sanctuary Dive & Beach Resort.

The diving: For macro, fish life, colors and visibility - the best in the Visayas. All dive sites are within 10 minutes from any point on the island. Mix of reef, sandy slopes and a deep wall vibrant with life. Mild to no current, makes this place a nice easy dive with some unique underwater surprises! Viz was anywhere from 10 to 30 meters, water temps were colder than normal at 77 degrees F. House reef is also the best spot on the island given all the life. Not a place for Pelagics anymore though....unfortunately, sharks were fished out a long time ago.....they still see some reef sharks but we didn't see any during our 11 dives these past 4 days. The ratio has been 2 or 3 divers to 1 or 2 guides....they have a brand new panga and rib to dive off, so very easy in and out of the water. Of course, all gear is handled by the staff ( unless you say otherwise) so no worries about carrying your gear to the boat! Safety and customer service focused dive guides and boat crew. Instructor on staff. A lot of Non divers tried their DSD....subsequent dives for them at regular dive rates. Divers get discounts based on number of dives.

The resort: Brand new Resort...everything is new....beds, towels, etc. Not a budget hotel but very reasonable at an average of about $100 - $125 a nite. Casual atmosphere but definitely one of the nicest resorts we've visited. Small resort with only about 15 rooms, keeping the atmosphere relaxed and quiet. Bean bags by the ocean to lounge on, pool, a restaurant offering reasonably priced local and western food, bar and a very professional dive shop. They also offer kayak, bike and paddle board rentals great for family members who don't dive (not sure about prices on these though).

Cabilao is only an hour drive from Tagbilaran, then a 30 minute boat ride (approx $16 for the whole boat) directly to the resort. Diving in Bohol is nice and different, but we definitely enjoyed Cabilao diving the most and highly recommend making this a dive destination!

Last edited:
Hey, I was thinking of heading to Cabilao Island mid april next year. Mainly for the chance to see schooling hammerheads. I've only read about it online and I find websites dont always tell the real story. Was wondering if you seen any hammerheads like the ones I read about? It does say from dec-april, not sure when you were there. Or did you hear anything about them still being there or have they been fished out like you said?

Unfortunately, hammerheads have been fished out by Locals due to the demand in China, per most of the dive shops. If you haven’t seen thresher sharks, we would highly recommend going a bit further up in Cebu to check them out. Thresher Shark Divers is who we went with a couple of years back and we were very happy. Suggest several days of diving to ensure you see them. Cabilao is a special place though if you are ok without the hammerheads. Hopefully someday they will repopulate. Either way, enjoy!

Oh wow thats horrible to hear :(. Yea I will be heading to malapascua for a few days at least to see the threshers. I've been before and dove with thresher sharks divers but I didn't get the experience I hoped for due to bad vis and bad luck haha. Thanks alot for your help take it easy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom