Renting tanks and weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeffrey A. Cogan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Going to Riviera Maya next week. Will spend 2 days in Cozumel. Will do boat dives but Dive Master buddy wants to do shore dives. I have read about where to do in both PDC, Tulum, etc. and Cozumel, but resorts where we are staying, are not dive resorts. Where can we rent tanks and weights? We will have a rental car.

I am very much unaware of good shore diving sites in that area. There may be some--I have never been interested and have never checked. If your friend knows good shore diving sites, I would also expect him to know where to get the necessary tanks and weights.

I know several places to rent tanks and weights in the area, but those places are geared toward cave diving. You can of course use the same tanks and weights in the ocean as you would in a cave.

Here is one I have used: ProTec Dive Centers Tulum and Playa del Carmen, Mexico

Going to Riviera Maya next week. Will spend 2 days in Cozumel. Will do boat dives but Dive Master buddy wants to do shore dives. I have read about where to do in both PDC, Tulum, etc. and Cozumel, but resorts where we are staying, are not dive resorts. Where can we rent tanks and weights? We will have a rental car.
Please come back and tell us the sites you find!

I'd be surprised if you find any shore diving on the Riviera Maya side. The reef is too far offshore for a swim given the currents, and I tried and failed to find even decent shore snorkeling after two weeks there. Akumal, which is supposed to be cool for snorkeling, wasn't. They will only let you dive with a dive group, so essentially you are in with tourists and wearing flotation. Also no freedive fins allowed. Basically the Riviera side for scuba is the Cenotes, which are awesome, and boat dives out to the reefs, which are just "OK" compared to Cozumel. (However there ARE some wreck dives, shark dives and of course whale sharks.) On the Cozumel side, you can shore dive. Scuba Club Cozumel, Blue Angel and other places have shore diving, but honestly other than for an extra dive, I'd go on a boat there everytime. The reefs are just too good to pass up for a mediocre shore dive, although I had fun ridding the shore of some small lionfish with my pole spear. Ok, this is all just my experience over 3 weeks last summer. If you find some decent shore diving on the Riviera side I want to know about it as well, because I'll be back there next summer!

One shore dive worth doing on the mainland is the coral heads in front of Ojo de Agua Hotel in Puerto Morelos. You won't get below 18 feet but we enjoy diving it day and night.

One shore dive worth doing on the mainland is the coral heads in front of Ojo de Agua Hotel in Puerto Morelos. You won't get below 18 feet but we enjoy diving it day and night.

Can you rent tanks there? Looking aqt map, looks like a dive shop Wet Set right there.

Can you rent tanks there? Looking aqt map, looks like a dive shop Wet Set right there.
Wet set will probably rent you a tank but I'm not sure. They gave us a hard time one time getting in there which made me determined to never dive with them again. (I did for 12 years straight, previous owner.) There is an air fill place in Puerto Morelos. They rent me tanks. It is close to the bus stop on the ocean side of the highway. No sign. You have to catch them open. Before 7am is a good time. You will see them dropping tanks at the main dock in town.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom