Pro-Ear Mask in Playa del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ellabee83

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi

We are in PdC for a holiday and were hoping to do some dives. We dived Cenotes on Weds but I had trouble equalising and have earache since. I was using Doc's Pro Plugs but am thinking I might try in combination with a pro-ear mask if I can get hold of one locally. Does anyone know of anywhere I might be able to get hold of one please? We're staying in a rental, not a hotel, so can't ask concierge etc.
Thanks
Bel

I can't answer your question about the Pro-Ear mask, but I might suggest a product called Ear Shield. It would probably be a lot easier to find at a dive center or dive shop than the mask would. It's a spray that is squirted into the ear canal and coats it so that water is retarded from entering the canal. I use it in conjunction with doc's plugs and it works well for me.

Without using both, I get very painful ear infections. And no amount or variety of "ear beer" works for me.

I can't answer your question about the Pro-Ear mask, but I might suggest a product called Ear Shield. It would probably be a lot easier to find at a dive center or dive shop than the mask would. It's a spray that is squirted into the ear canal and coats it so that water is retarded from entering the canal. I use it in conjunction with doc's plugs and it works well for me.

Without using both, I get very painful ear infections. And no amount or variety of "ear beer" works for me.
Thanks, I was wearing Doc's Ear pros but still have pain, and as I am prone to ruptures, hoping that these might be an answer. I will keep an eye out for ear shield too. :)

Equalizing is quite the problem for some divers. I used the Valsalva Maneuver for a long time which I hated. But I finally figured out how to use my jaw to equalize while the 2nd stage was in my mouth and I've not used the Valsalva in years. I now just thrust my jaw forward and I get instant equalization.

So good luck with that. I hope you can figure out something that will help you equalize.

Keep your head above the pool water at your resort in mexico.

Be mindful how much AC you turn on.

Rinse ears out with alcohol before dinner.

Those 3 things eliminated my ear infection type issues in PDC and CZM.

Although I am big fan of the Scubapro Pro Ear mask, which is the only safe way for diving keeping the ear channels dry, I warn you that it does NOT provide any benefit regarding your equalisation problems, nor it prevents eardrum rupture if you do not equalize properly.
After having checked with an ENT that your Eustachean tubes are open, and your eardrums are intact, so you CAN equalize, it is matter of learning the best technique which works for you, and to learn how to perform it properly.
Most novel drivers are taught only the crap Valsalva manouvre, and this is the cause of many eardrum ruptures, mid and inner ear barothraumas, and some other nasty problems involving lungs, heart and even brains (people with a PFO push bubbles towards brain if performing Valsalva during deco).
At least other 6 equalisation methods are widely employed by free divers: Frenzel, Lowry, Fattah (aka "mouthfill"), Toynbee, Marcante-Odaglia, BTV.
My preferred one is the last one, BTV, as @GreggS.
But learning how to equalise requires weeks, if not months, and is better done initially in a pool.
A free diving instructor can be of help, but be aware that some of the methods used by free divers, such as Frenzel and Fattah, are not very practical for scuba diving, as they cannot be done with the reg in your mouth.
But if your ears are already aching, you possibly have already overstressed your ear drums, so you need to stay at least 3 weeks out of water, heal completely, before attempting again to dive.
I think your diving holidays is over. Enjoy the sun...

Don’t aviation type earplugs help regulate and reduce ear pressure? Would they be effective while diving. I don’t need them, personally, but, curious.

Don’t aviation type earplugs help regulate and reduce ear pressure? Would they be effective while diving. I don’t need them, personally, but, curious.
Any kind of earplugs are quite dangerous for diving.
Pressure MUST equalise.
Blocking it outside the ear channel can result in extrusion of the tympanic membrane, or the plug being pressure-forced in the ear duct.
Perforated (vented) ear plugs are not so dangerous, but they do not keep water out, so they are just a psychological help...
LEARN TO EQUALISE, that is the only answer to equalisation problems.
It is unfortunate that so many "diving instructors" do not teach properly the various equalisation techniques to their students.
And for people with problems of infections in the ear duct, the Pro Ear mask is the only solution specifically designed for scuba diving safely, whilst avoiding water (but not pressure) to enter the ear channels.
Still, you need to equalise also with the Pro-Ear mask, it does not change the pressure-equalisation problem.

Hi

We are in PdC for a holiday and were hoping to do some dives. We dived Cenotes on Weds but I had trouble equalising and have earache since. I was using Doc's Pro Plugs but am thinking I might try in combination with a pro-ear mask if I can get hold of one locally. Does anyone know of anywhere I might be able to get hold of one please? We're staying in a rental, not a hotel, so can't ask concierge etc.
Thanks
Bel
you need cortisone drop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom