Bonaire from Toronto with Sunwing - DO NOT BOOK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd recommend AB car rental with full insurance. To me, the extra insurance is worth it to not have to inspect the truck before and after.

You are absolutely getting jerked around and inconvenienced. Sorry if I, in any way, was minimizing that. Doesn't matter how great the deal is, if you have paid for something and then have planned accordingly and then get the bait and switch, it's not cool at all and you should be compensated accordingly.

I hope you have a great vacation and awesome dive experience in spite of all the inconveniences. I was probably overreacting- given what a trip like this costs the most of us and the strong imperative in your subject line that we should all "NOT BOOK". Most of us- -including me, would still book. Especially me, given that I know the island well and can see the easy work arounds to the inconveniences. I shouldn't assume that everyone else can do that.

All the best!

Maybe talk to Buddy Dive and see if you can get the full 6 days of nitrox and dive with them on the 6th day. Checkout quick that morning, leave luggage in friends room, dive the day at Buddy's and then move to Eden that evening for the single night, taking the wet gear straight from truck to gear room at Eden. Not ideal, but would save the day for diving.

Well I entered into an agreement and paid for 7 nights at buddys 12 boat dives and 6 days air/nitrox
I am getting 6 nights with 10 dives and 5 days air nitrox
I have to check out with wet gear and move hotels.
I have to pay Eden for 1 day Air nitrox out of pocket. My flight leaves at 5 pm so I could do a full day of diving the previous day instead of moving hotels.
The truck is problematic because it doesn't make sense to rent from buddy's any more. If they had offered me even $ 50 bucks back for inconvenience I wouldn't be ticked.
I get that it's a good price but I am still being jerked around.

I seem to be a victim of misconception. From what I have read here before on SB Bonaire is mainly shore diving. What's the advantage of boat dives?

I'm sure I'll end up on Bonaire sooner or later and now you have me wondering if I need to book boat dives.

I'd recommend AB car rental with full insurance. To me, the extra insurance is worth it to not have to inspect the truck before and after.

AB is (was when we were there) not near the airport but they'll pick you up and drop you off. Also, drive stick: I think if you want automatic you need to book waay in advance.

I seem to be a victim of misconception. From what I have read here before on SB Bonaire is mainly shore diving. What's the advantage of boat dives?

I'm sure I'll end up on Bonaire sooner or later and now you have me wondering if I need to book boat dives.

Klein Bonaire is boat diving. Then there's a couple of sites where shore entry can be unpleasant. Like, jump off a cliff and drift to the next site for exit.

Last edited:
What's the advantage of boat dives?
Yes this is an open debate on the forum. Some swear by shore diving only, some prefer boat and some like me like a combination of both. To your question, boat diving while more expensive than shore is less expensive than just about anyplace else you will travel. $30-35 for a two tank. The ease of boat diving, especially if staying at a place with a house reef, dock and boat. No loading trucks, no driving, less lugging of gear. You can get to sites you cant by shore, primarily Klein sites. You get to be out on a boat, be on the water and see the island by boat, which some enjoy. Depending upon the time of year, it is a lot cooler diving from a boat than from shore. Loading up a truck, gearing up on shore can be quite hot most of the year. There are many advantages to shore diving and to doing both as well, but I tried to answer your question.

It should be a simple concept, but many don't grasp it: You get what you pay for.

For $1300 it would be a steal if it included the truck and you were expected to sleep in it. We paid that amount for direct flights alone to Belize.

The real fun begins with this discount flights when the snow flies on flight day. They are well-known as being too cheap to pay for better de-icing fluid so those flights get delayed, and delayed... If it doesn't snow though, you're golden...

I'm with Trailboss, sign me up for the jerk around! And what are you using the Trailboss for Trailboss? .45 colt?

I'm with Trailboss, sign me up for the jerk around! And what are you using the Trailboss for Trailboss? .45 colt?
Sunwing is currently advertising Eden Beach for $965CAD hotel only+ nonstop airfare from Toronto. January departures. You can sign up for the jerk around at will lol.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom