Cellphone network frequency question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or go with TMobile and it just simply works anywhere I have been in Mexico, USA or Canada. No extra fees no data limits just use your phone.

I made a terrible mistake a few years ago and went with Sprint. It took me about 4 months to correct it. That 4 month period was during a trip to Mexico. While discussing using my phone in Mexico with the typical fool in Sprint customer service, they said that there were going to be fewer and fewer CDMA towers available, as Mexico was transitioning to GSM exclusively.

I have no idea if this information is correct or not. After enough aggravation, I went with T-Mobile. Love them. I have the same plan, I think, that Christie outlined.

One thing to be aware of with T-Mobile: While you're in Mexico, it remains a US phone. In other words, if you wanted to call Aunt Martha in Boston, you'd dial her just as you would while sitting at home in St. Louis. If you wanted to call your dive master Jorge, you'd dial using international dialing protocol.

I have a Verizon phone. My plan works in Mexico the same as in the US. Phone, text, data. If you have a plan that doesn't include Mexico you can call and add it on for the period you're there. I don't have to do anything, just put it in my purse and go.

I made a terrible mistake a few years ago and went with Sprint. It took me about 4 months to correct it.
FWIW, I have been with Sprint for many years (since the flip phone days) and I like it just fine. DSFDF.

FWIW, I have been with Sprint for many years (since the flip phone days) and I like it just fine. DSFDF.

It really depends on where you live too - choose what works best where you spend most of your time. Sprint has horrible coverage in the twin cities for example

I will echo what Christi said and add one point.
Verizon is the only reliable carrier up north at the lake house.
I had a verizon phone that was locked to verizon. While locked, the phone will only work on verizon in the US.
The phone is now unlocked and I can now use it with any other carrier.
Make sure your phone is unlocked and/or has global capabilities before you leave the states.
All of this is to make sure I will receive my calls and texts to my verizon home number. There are many ways to call back to the states, but only one way for me to get texts and calls.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Does anyone know which frequencies the carriers use in coz.
I have a 4g lte phone, but I was told I need a GSM capable phone.
I am on Verizon, if that make a difference.
Thanks

Mexico calls/data/text is included with most Verizon wireless plans now. Travelpass used to be $5 a day but I was there in July and was not charged and confirmed this with them. If you hit 500mb daily, they slow you down but it resets at midnight.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Does anyone know which frequencies the carriers use in coz.
I have a 4g lte phone, but I was told I need a GSM capable phone.
I am on Verizon, if that make a difference.
Thanks

Verizon phones work fine roaming in Cozumel. The Verizon travel pass that has been mentioned is the most economical way to do it.

Verizon has a thing where you can use your phone in Mexico and Canada for like $2 bucks a day, but there is a very reasonable limit to the amount of data. I signed up a couple of years ago, but now whenever my phone connects in Mexico it simply asks me if I want to use it for the day for $2. Log into your account online and under "My Plan", you will have "International Options" where you can add a plan for your travel outside of the US. Then just use your phone as normal while there for a couple bucks a day. Once back in the US you don't have to do anything to turn it off.

It's now $5/day for both Canada and Mexico. Prices were increased at some point in the past year.

All this misinformation about GSM and CDMA. New Verizon phones use LTE (5G). Call them and enable international travel to Mexico. Your plan gets extended to include Mexico for $5/day.

Just call them and activate. You only pay for each day if you use the phone. Your data speeds may not always be 5G and can sink to 3G or even 2G at times. Enjoy your trip.

5G doesn't exist commercially yet, and it's still a few years away (standards not fully set). Current technology is 4G/LTE.

Correct...but for those of us that work in telco labs, 5G is kinda real now! I’m just getting ahead of the curve.

Correct...but for those of us that work in telco labs, 5G is kinda real now! I’m just getting ahead of the curve.
It's a small world! For some reason I thought you were a lawyer. For that, I apologize.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom