Cellphone network frequency question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And that's MOVESTAR
MoveStar Inc. are professional firefighter movers, owned and operated by off duty fireman, and ranked one of the top moving companies in the Dallas TX. See Off Duty Firemen Movers | Firefighter Moving Company Dallas TX
Capture.JPG

No, it's really not. It's "Movistar".
Movistar is a major telecommunications brand owned by Telefonica, operating in Spain and in many Hispanic American countries. Movistar - Wikipedia

I gave you the source. It's pretty widely used. Feel free to check it out (there are browser-based and app versions). I haven't been aware of any particular criticisms of it vs other "speed test" methods. Are you?
No, sorry; I was speaking in general terms. Lots of ISP's have their own "speed tests" whose veracity I question because they are evaluating themselves. I'm not familiar with what you are using and I'm not enough of an IT guy to be able to tell if what you are seeing is real. If it is, good for you.

One thing I have seen in the many years I have been going to Cozumel is how cellular/digital communications there have leapfrogged analog land line technology. Before cellphones it was very difficult and expensive to make a call to the US from there. In those days when I was on Cozumel I was pretty much incommunicado. I kinda miss those days. :D

No, sorry; I was speaking in general terms. Lots of ISP's have their own "speed tests" whose veracity I question because they are evaluating themselves. I'm not familiar with what you are using and I'm not enough of an IT guy to be able to tell if what you are seeing is real. If it is, good for you.

One thing I have seen in the many years I have been going to Cozumel is how cellular/digital communications there have leapfrogged analog land line technology. Before cellphones it was very difficult and expensive to make a call to the US from there. In those days when I was on Cozumel I was pretty much incommunicado. I kinda miss those days. :D
The test he used is pretty much "the standard". The problem with it is that most host points for speedtest.net are hosted by the ISP's. They host such a bandwidth intensive system to guarantee that their customers get the best possible results on a test. So.. yeah if the POP he hit was owned by the same ISP that he was testing, the results might not be valid. This is because if the pop is owned by Telcel and the provider he's using is Telcel, that data may never touch the internet. The uplink from a cellular provider to the wider internet is usually where the bottleneck lies, as that uplink is very expensive. However you can't tell that detail from the screenshots that most people share. The indicators at the top and bottom of the screenshots are irrelevant. If you look at mine, it says Verizon Wireless (my cell service provider). However, all the bandwidth used in my case was over a wifi connection up linked through Frontier FIOS. So my test that indicates Verizon Wireless didn't even account for any data that traversed Verizon's cellular network.

Despite the misleading "simple" appearance of speedtest.net, obtaining accurate speed testing results really aren't all that simple.

The test he used is pretty much "the standard". The problem with it is that most host points for speedtest.net are hosted by the ISP's. They host such a bandwidth intensive system to guarantee that their customers get the best possible results on a test. So.. yeah if the POP he hit was owned by the same ISP that he was testing, the results might not be valid. This is because if the pop is owned by Telcel and the provider he's using is Telcel, that data may never touch the internet. The uplink from a cellular provider to the wider internet is usually where the bottleneck lies, as that uplink is very expensive. However you can't tell that detail from the screenshots that most people share. The indicators at the top and bottom of the screenshots are irrelevant. If you look at mine, it says Verizon Wireless (my cell service provider). However, all the bandwidth used in my case was over a wifi connection up linked through Frontier FIOS. So my test that indicates Verizon Wireless didn't even account for any data that traversed Verizon's cellular network.

Despite the misleading "simple" appearance of speedtest.net, obtaining accurate speed testing results really aren't all that simple.

AMEN. Well put.

Which is why I stated that MStevens didn’t get it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom