Re-purposed condemned SCUBA tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At least on Cozumel, they are also popular for dock posts (red).

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTdGOPr67_3mSu7gMc0-wz61OangqhGWlp5bOXqyUaByCSZn_i.jpg

Chimneys for my fireplace (old 1000# propane tank with a hole cut in the front). Get a good fire going and you get flames out the chimneys. Yes, plural, it is a twin chimney fire place. I'm also a car guy, it has to have dual exhaust.

I've made a couple bells out of some old steel tanks. One of them I made a bell out of I just used a small bit of the top and used the majority of the bottom of the tank as a rock tumbler for my son. Same tumbler I use to tumble the tanks - just fill it with rocks and grit, seal the end and let it run overnight. Here's a link to my Tank bell

I have a lp72 with a liner that hydro shop will not test.
Use a whip to fill to 500 and use as portable tire filler Left a retired Conshelf reg on it.
Don't own a compressor and am tired if searching for stations with a functional tire filler...the vacuum machines are always g2g though lol.

I've tumbled several liners out - recently got two tanks someone turned into the lds that they gave me - both had wet sand in them. One had a good liner and was saved damage by it - tumbled it out and it's nice and clean - ready to go for hydro. The other had a rust band and will become another bell.

@Ghetto diver
Seems that with the introduction of the single hose regulator with the US Divers Aqua Matic in 1957 every diver discovered that a regulator minus the second stage which was replaced with an air hose accessary valve began and have continued using it as a blower in the work shop.

In the genesis of recreational diving work shops were almost a necessity..To make then cut, grind and sharpen- mostly spear points and associated items. Our motto at that time "If it doesn't exist we invented one and made it, or if an item costs over a dollar we made it" ..All in the garage work shop- using hand files, hand saws and a bench grinder and drill press--- a SCUBA tank blower was a welcome item

@ScubaBunga
Very impressive SCUBA tanks- like the bright almost automotive finish.

May I suggest a modification to your clapper. When I made my first bells abut 30=35 years ago I used a 2 pound lead salmon deep sea fishing weight for a clapper, which I suspect you will never find a salmon deep sea fishing weight in Wright City Missouri. It produced a metal on metal tone - Pleasing but not really the tone I was hoping it would produce.

By the time my wife began making bells out of SCUBA tanks and assorted smaller HP cylinders about 20 years ago the hobby spread and other locals had began making bells - some as a hobby others as a cottage business. Some unknown local hobbyist wrapped the clapper in leather and securely supper glued the leather the clapper. This one modification produced a very melodic deep rich tone ( I guess that is the way to describe the tone) Might want to experiment with your bells clapper..

Stay warm

Sam Miller, 111

Back
Top Bottom