Aqua Lung Package

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Octo is a subpar performer. If you are concerned that you should have a good reg to provide to your best friend and buddy in an emergency (rare as that might be), I would choose a package with a better aux second stage. Or make sure its tuning is checked every year.

My 2 cents.

I believe that the tendency for BP/W and back-inflate BCs to push people face forward is a real problem and not "user error." It is situational however which leads some people to believe it doesn't exist. Floaty cylinders, like empty AL80s, contribute considerably to the face-forward tendency as does excessive lead especially if that lead is carried forward on the waist.

With, say, a steel twinset that is at least partially full, the negative buoyancy of the cylinders more than counters the face-forward tendancy of the BC. This is why we have cave divers show up on these threads and preach the idea that you can "kick back" like it's gospel, since that is how they dive.

Do the same thing in the ocean, with an empty AL80, and perhaps slightly too much lead on your belt, and there will be a face-forward twisting moment that is much more difficult to overcome.

Hi - I know I am not representative of all people and situations. It is my experience and a suggestion that I have observed people doing this and usually they have too much air in the wing. Again, it might not apply to all people. Almost all of my diving is vacation diving where I am using an AL80. At 300-500PSI of air, I don't have this issue...For local diving, I use a HP100 but that diving is so few, so far between my vacation dives. I think your assessment makes sense. I am a single tank, recreational diver, and have never dived doubles. But as you say about weights, I am also not over-weighted. As for slightly too much lead on belt or integrated weights or distribution...That sounds like "user error" doesn't it? :) It took me a while into my diving to dial in my weights and distribution for each situation (exposure, tank, etc.) so that is understandable. (I don't mean that in a snarky way - it is the internet and I don't want you to misunderstand or take my sentence out of context.)

Last edited:
Hi - I know I am not representative of all people and situations. It is my experience and a suggestion that I have observed people doing this and usually they have too much air in the wing. Again, it might not apply to all people. Almost all of my diving is vacation diving where I am using an AL80. At 300-500PSI of air, I don't have this issue...For local diving, I use a HP100 but that diving is so few, so far between my vacation dives. I think your assessment makes sense. I am a single tank, recreational diver, and have never dived doubles. But as you say about weights, I am also not over-weighted. As for slightly too much lead on belt or integrated weights or distribution...That sounds like "user error" doesn't it? :) It took me a while into my diving to dial in my weights and distribution for each situation (exposure, tank, etc.) so that is understandable. (I don't mean that in a snarky way - it is the internet and I don't want you to misunderstand or take my sentence out of context.)
i am not sure if you have used the zuma or not, i have been using that one for about 4 years or so. what i was trying to relay to the OP was the tendency to float you face forward on the surface. the zuma has the quick release front load weight pockets. when the bcd is weighed and worn, the weights sit forward on your waist on either side of your "belly button". to me, by design, it causes you to leverage forward while on the surface with air in your bcd. if you try to lay on your back, the weights will roll you over on to your stomach. you do need to make an effort to keep yourself on your back. its generally not an issue in calm water with a short wait for a boat pick up, but heavier seas and a longer surface wait gets annoying real quick. underwater, the bcd performs well, i have no complaints. it is a lightweight travel bcd, it does not have a lot of lift when fully inflated. the other issue i have is with the upper strap that buckles just below your chin. i find it rather restrictive and uncomfortable, so i elect to not use it. my intention was to give the OP something to think about on the bcd, and to be aware of its limitations.

It's a nice package suitable for warm water diving. Just beware that the Micron is a warm water regulator. Anything much below 50 degrees Fahrenheit and you might get reduced performance or free flow on the first stage. Second stage breaths real nice when properly tuned. I would suggest going to your local dive shop for the purchase. There you will get the proper advice and fitment of your equipment. It is also a good idea to have the regulator bench tested prior to using it. I can't tell you how many I have seen that are out of spec right out of the box. Also the Micron qualifies for free parts for life which can save you money during the servicing. However, many shops won't honor the commitment if you don't buy it through them. Good Luck!!!!

Back
Top Bottom