Dive Lights - Packed or Carry-On?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tdallen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi -

Dive lights aren't cheap, and they've got big lithium batteries in them. Some of them are small enough to carry onto a plane. Do you pack them, or carry them on?

Thanks

i carry on my dive lights, camera equipment, regulator, prescription dive mask and computer.

Whatever you decide, please carry on you Lithium batteries. There is a growing concern in the airline industry about checked Lithium ion batteries causing a fire in the cargo bin.

From TSA:

Lithium batteries with 100 watt hours or less in a device
Carry On Bags: Yes
Checked Bags: Yes (Special Instructions)
Lithium batteries with 100 watt hours or less may be carried in a device in either carry-on or checked bags. Loose lithium batteries are prohibited in checked bags. For more information, see the FAA regulations on batteries.

Keep in mind other countries may have other rules regarding whether lithium batteries must be checked or carried on. I believe I recall a SB thread noting that Mexico's rules are the exact opposite of US rules, and loose lithium batteries cannot be carried on and must be checked.

I would carry on anything fragile or that would seriously hamper your diving if it didn't arrive. For me, that's camera, mask and dive computer. Dive lights are generally packed in my checked bag. Worst case, almost all resorts and liveaboards have dive lights for rent.

Keep in mind other countries may have other rules regarding whether lithium batteries must be checked or carried on. I believe I recall a SB thread noting that Mexico's rules are the exact opposite of US rules, and loose lithium batteries cannot be carried on and must be checked.

I would carry on anything fragile or that would seriously hamper your diving if it didn't arrive. For me, that's camera, mask and dive computer. Dive lights are generally packed in my checked bag. Worst case, almost all resorts and liveaboards have dive lights for rent.
A very good point - I flew from the UK to Egypt for a Red Sea liveaboard last year and the rules were the exact opposite. They would allow nothing with a battery larger than that in a phone to be in cabin baggage which meant lights, tablets, power banks etc all had to be in checked luggage.

Always better to check what the current guidance is.

LiOn batts in checked bags are often either prohibited, OR subject to someone not understanding the rules and yanking from your luggage....

I carry mine on, along with all of my "personal" gear (mask, regs, and camera. Everything else gets packed in my roller.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom