How do you pack your lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
How do you pack your lights for travelling? Checked baggage or carryon? In a hard case with spongey insides?

Carry on. Mainly because of the batteries as a safety issue but also the weight and value of the item. While places I travel to are strict about carry on weight, I usually stuff them in my pockets at the gate and at check in.

Lithium ion is what really poses a danger but to prevent issues I just carry all batteries in the device.

Batteries get removed from the light and put in carry on. My lights get hot enough out of water to be a risk if they were to be accidentally turned on in a bag. The lights themselves are rugged enough that they get packed wherever they fit. Usually in a hard case with camera gear

Batteries in carryon in some of those little plastic cases, lights themselves in checked, usually tucked in fins. Pocket trick is good for any little heavy things where carryon limits are low. I used to check non-lithiums sometimes when I needed lots of batteries, but all my lights now use few batteries and mostly rechargeables.

I've heard of people doing stuff like flipping batteries or using a piece of cardboard to cover terminals so something can't turn on accidentally. But my thought is that while you may know it can't accidentally turn on, this doesn't show on xrays and it will still look like something that could get a bag opened.

Definitely batteries in carry-on. Lights in checked bags. I got stopped in Tokyo and the batteries were confiscated from my checked bags en route to Manila. Luckily I had spares in carry-on.

Batteries and my favorite light in carry-on. Backup light goes inside my dive bootie with the battery removed.

We have padded regulator bags, and battery-less lights go in there. Then these bags are inserted inside BCD in checked baggage. Not using lithium batteries, so removed batteries are place in one Zip lock per light, then all for one diver in another Zip lock, then into regulator bag as well.

Been doing it this way for decades, never lost a light or battery.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom