Being Too Cheap Can Kill You

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's only one T in Scotsman, your Scots heritage has been revoked 🤣
You are correct. My mother would kill me rest her soul.

No blame intended with UK underwater lights . My fault to overtighted the battery lens cover but did purchace a set of sartek lights . My purpose is not to scare new divers or brag about being a impulsive knuckle head but to share lessons that I may have learned . New gear will last a long time . I have had ruptured hoses and a low pressure hose can empty your tank very fast . Is ten year old air some with 30% 02 safe to breath ? good times Rumdumb
It's not the air that's dangerous!
1. Cylinders that have not been tested for 10 years are dangerous!
2. Ignorance and misunderstanding of the processes on which your life depends is dangerous!

Litterally unreadable.

I asked ChatGPT to make it coherent;

Investing in high-quality diving gear is crucial because your life may depend on it. However, I must admit that I don't always heed my own advice. For instance, I once considered using scuba tanks filled with eight-year-old air, wondering if they'd still be safe unless the air tasted rusty. My lax approach to checking and maintaining my gear has led to numerous close calls and frightening incidents, underscoring the importance of vigilance given the stakes.

One memorable incident occurred during a solo lobster night dive on the Star of Scotland. Earlier in the day, I had set some baited hoop nets. When I descended, I was thrilled to find large lobsters near the nets. While attempting to bag these lobsters, I had to set my large UK light down on a piece of the wreck. To my horror, I noticed water seeping into the light. Faced with a dilemma, I chose to release the lobster I was holding to activate my backup light, considering my family's well-being. Unfortunately, the backup light failed, forcing me to ascend in total darkness from a depth of 80 feet without an anchor line.

Navigating a blind ascent was daunting, but I managed to start rising by filling my buoyancy compensator just enough. The ascent was going smoothly until I felt a sudden drag pulling me back down, landing me in a deep hole within the wreckage. Fortunately, I landed safely and was able to make a successful second attempt at ascending.

Despite this harrowing experience, I rashly decided to drain the water from my light, seal it with duct tape, and dive again. This is just one of many tales that illustrate the risks of neglecting dive gear maintenance. It's a stark reminder of the need to prioritize safety over adventure. Wishing everyone safe diving, whether by day or night.
You know, this scares me. One day we'll all be writing and speaking like the OP by default and require some sort of AI translator to be understood. :wink:

You know, this scares me. One day we'll all be writing and speaking like the OP by default and require some sort of AI translator to be understood. :wink:

Quoting someone else from The Pub, first you'll have to prove to it you are not a robot yourself.

The Pub, first you'll have to prove to it you are not a robot yourself
For those that don't venture there [The Pub] :

main-qimg-b6588b7178fdb67dcefd8fcee8a4d9fc.jpeg

I’ve yet to die for not diving a Halcyon or a Shearwater.

Get gear that works and works for you and your budget. Be disciplined, practice your craft, and be a good diver. Plan your dive and dive your plan.
Even Shearwaters can fail, too. Happened to me with a rental Peregrine with an inoperative button. I carried my now non-supported DeepBlu Cosmiq as a backup and cross-checked both during my dive.

I feel being comfortable with your gear is more important than having the latest and greatest. I’ll say this - my $500 BPW allowed me to trim out better than a $1200 back-inflate BC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom