Trip Report Just back from first trip to CURACAO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's what it used to be, but not anymore. Now they bring busloads of tourists from Willemstad to Westpunt and everywhere else. Even the remote beaches like Plaia Mansalina and Shon Mosa where you could spend a day by yourself years ago will now have a few people on weekdays, and on weekends they'll be packed with locals who are trying to escape the tourist crowds.
I was there in mid-February and we gave up on driving to the beaches on weekends. Even Klein Knip was packed. Fortunately, we were staying in a house that was right at Snake Bay and the crowds there were 0

In Jan, the beaches and dive sites were empty to uncrowded on weekdays. It is a good plan to dive your house reefs on the Weekends and if planning on a popular public beach to hit it early or late.

In Jan, the beaches and dive sites were empty to uncrowded on weekdays. It is a good plan to dive your house reefs on the Weekends and if planning on a popular public beach to hit it early or late.

That's pretty much what we've always done. I never felt like we were dodging tourists. If I lived on an island with beautiful beaches, I know where I would be on my days off. :)

Thank you, Mr Einstein! We tried that and our pickup was broken in at Kenipa early in the morning. In Curacao, the crowds play dual role. They irritate you and deprive you of parking spots, but if you are lucky to find one, they guarantee your safety.

Last edited:
Geez @tarponchik , sounds like you had the trip(s) from hell. I think I would WANT to be voted off that island. :eek::surrender:
Nah, still OK. Looks like breaking into the cars is quite popular there. The next day after our accident another pickup from AlWest rentals was broken into. On the upside, guys at AlWest keep the stock of spare windows for their pickups and fix them quickly. Apparently, they know that the thieves always break the rear door window on the driver's side. On the downside, we still had to pay them $200.

Crowds, crime - Sounds like you would be happier some place else.

Looks like breaking into the cars is quite popular there.

Good to know. From other threads, I've read one of Curacao's advantages over Bonaire is that some shore dive sites have some type of supervision, as some people don't like the advised Bonaire practice of leaving nothing of value (except extra tanks) in your rental truck while you're diving, and the doors unlocked and windows down so thieves can see for themselves there's nothing to steal, without breaking a window.

Anyone know if that approach is thought to deter window breakage at Curacao shore dive sites where there's no supervision (e.g.: crowd, guards)?

Richard.

We were told to leave the car unlocked with windows open and "they don't take tanks". Does that answer your question?

Yes. Knowing the established practice is valuable. I imagine as time goes on we’ll see sites broken down by whether one need do that or not. Some people like to leave some valuables in a locked vehicle, so it matters.

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom