Trip Report Just back from first trip to CURACAO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sunset Waters was a pretty cool resort! We were there in 2008 which may have been its last year. They pointed it out to us from the Go West boat last time we were there. Opening up the shades in the am overlooking the nudist section was a bit of a surprise :)

" Low key, non-touristy, remote, scenic" off season. End of last November, Curacao was as packet with tourists as Isla Mujeres in July.

" Low key, non-touristy, remote, scenic" off season. End of last November, Curacao was as packet with tourists as Isla Mujeres in July.

Maybe that was because of all storms and hurricane damage to many other Caribbean islands last summer and fall? People may have switched their vacation plans to Curacao which is below most of the tropical storms.

Are you referring to Wilemstad or out west (Westpunt area)? They are very different. It's one of the things I like about Curacao. I prefer relaxing in Westpunt for dive trips, but if you want a bit of nightlife or to spend an afternoon perusing a few shops, it's available about 45 min. away. Or it might be what @KathyV suggested. :)

Maybe that was because of all storms and hurricane damage to many other Caribbean islands last summer and fall? People may have switched their vacation plans to Curacao which is below most of the tropical storms.

I don't think it's a maybe: we called in September to check, just in case, and AllWest was already booked until mid-April. Last time I think 2-3 months in advance was plenty.

Are you referring to Wilemstad or out west (Westpunt area)? They are very different. It's one of the things I like about Curacao. I prefer relaxing in Westpunt for dive trips, but if you want a bit of nightlife or to spend an afternoon perusing a few shops, it's available about 45 min. away. Or it might be what @KathyV suggested. :)
That's what it used to be, but not anymore. Now they bring busloads of tourists from Willemstad to Westpunt and everywhere else. Even the remote beaches like Plaia Mansalina and Shon Mosa where you could spend a day by yourself years ago will now have a few people on weekdays, and on weekends they'll be packed with locals who are trying to escape the tourist crowds.

Wow, when we were last there Oct 2016 we didn't notice any increase in folks out west. We've been alternating fall trips between Curacao and Bonaire for the past several years. We're headed back to Curacao & Marazul in October. It's sad if this is the case. We've really enjoyed the western dive sites including long, lazy days at the San Juan sites. :(

Almost forgot, we did buy the Curacao diving book at Go West; includes details on all dive sites, not just shore, that was extremely helpful ( you can get it on Amazon in advance slightly cheaper if you think ahead)

What is the actual name the book please?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom