Trip report: Blue XT Sea Diving/Secrets, Sunscape Sabor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ckofabq

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
April 5-13, SWA DEN-CUN, return Maya Air/Volaris CZM-CUN-GDL-PHX
Breezed through airport arrival to a shared van to PDC ferry for what became the easiest bag drag I can recall in all the years coming to the best, easily-accessible and relatively inexpensive diving close to home.
Used Best Day more to test as a transfer for a friend who’s not made the trip. Oughta be a breeze for a never-ever been. Personally will save the few extra $ and do usual unguided ADO bus, ferry & taxi, but glad I checked em out.
Change of pace this time was staying way south at Sunscape, purely for insta-access to southern reefs. Came with its own set of issues, as dock owners at sister property Secrets were charging $2/day/guest and was a huge time-waster for ops to pay at bank, obtain receipt, deliver to resort then resort get wrist bands to their guests. A personal letter to the GM in advance didn’t assure a thing, but some insistent scowling and $14USD at the front desk magically shook loose 7 wrist bands they only moments before didn’t have. Crisis averted
3rd floor ocean front suite (3331) at Sunscape was a bargain at $105/night single. Huge balcony for wet suit drying, giant walk-in shower. Older and charming, but, hey, me too.
BUT, Sunscape over-sold on arrival, so first 2 nights were at Secrets. Was peeved they expected me to move, but was a blessing in disguise. They comp’d an hour massage, comp’d WIFI & let me use the considerably better Secrets AI offerings. It was certainly AI in variety, but I was pleasantly surprised at quality.
I’ve sampled a few dive operators over the years, but it’s become a no-brainer to stick with what’s become family at Blue XT Sea Diving. Christi is a dear lady and offers
consistent, 5-Star service, with top-notch guides & captains. Fast, fully equipped boats, shore S/I’s with great snacks. Never feel rushed. A diver’s dive operation. Valet all the way. Leave em my gear all week, show up and get wet. Big tanks on request and Nitrox available. Well done again, Christi and team!
Switched this trip from 20+ year old Zeagle Ranger to Aqualung Outlaw. LOVE IT! (and lost 2# lead and got 4# back in luggage!)
Happy I added a last-minute GoPro 6 acquisition, 3 hours before departing for CZM. Capturing videos enhanced this solo trip greatly with opportunities to share with fellow divers on the boat all the usual suspects and a host of up-close and some big stuff encounters, better than many prior trips, all posted to the Blue XT Sea Diving FB page.

Last edited:
April 5-13, SWA DEN-CUN, return Maya Air/Volaris CZM-CUN-GDL-PHX
Breezed through airport arrival to a shared van to PDC ferry for what became the easiest bag drag I can recall in all the years coming to the best, easily-accessible and relatively inexpensive diving close to home.
Used Best Day more to test as a transfer for a friend who’s not made the trip. Oughta be a breeze for a never-ever been. Personally will save the few extra $ and do usual unguided ADO bus, ferry & taxi, but glad I checked em out.
Change of pace this time was staying way south at Sunscape, purely for insta-access to southern reefs. Came with its own set of issues, as dock owners at sister property Secrets were charging $2/day/guest and was a huge time-waster for ops to pay at bank, obtain receipt, deliver to resort then resort get wrist bands to their guests. A personal letter to the GM in advance didn’t assure a thing, but some insistent scowling and $14USD at the front desk magically shook loose 7 wrist bands they only moments before didn’t have. Crisis averted
3rd floor ocean front suite (3331) at Sunscape was a bargain at $105/night single. Huge balcony for wet suit drying, giant walk-in shower. Older and charming, but, hey, me too.
BUT, Sunscape over-sold on arrival, so first 2 nights were at Secrets. Was peeved they expected me to move, but was a blessing in disguise. They comp’d an hour massage, comp’d WIFI & let me use the considerably better Secrets AI offerings. It was certainly AI in variety, but I was pleasantly surprised at quality.
I’ve sampled a few dive operators over the years, but it’s become a no-brainer to stick with what’s become family at Blue XT Sea Diving. Christi is a dear lady and offers
consistent, 5-Star service, with top-notch guides & captains. Fast, fully equipped boats, shore S/I’s with great snacks. Never feel rushed. A diver’s dive operation. Valet all the way. Leave em my gear all week, show up and get wet. Big tanks on request and Nitrox available. Well done again, Christi and team!
Switched this trip from 20+ year old Zeagle Ranger to Aqualung Outlaw. LOVE IT! (and lost 2# lead and got 4# back in luggage!)
Happy I added a last-minute GoPro 6 acquisition, 3 hours before departing for CZM. Capturing videos enhanced this solo trip greatly with opportunities to share with fellow divers on the boat all the usual suspects and a host of up-close and some big stuff encounters, better than many prior trips, all posted to the Blue XT Sea Diving FB page.

Thank you Craig! It was great to see you and so glad it was another great trip!!! We appreciate you!

Thanks for the report. I was diving there late March-early April. The boats I was on picked up other divers at Secrets and never went thru any wristband hassle. I asked the boat owners/capitans and was told that policy had been abandoned. Way to go Christi and fellow dive shop owners for putting up the good fight against this ridiculous scheme.

Thanks for the report. I was diving there late March-early April. The boats I was on picked up other divers at Secrets and never went thru any wristband hassle. I asked the boat owners/capitans and was told that policy had been abandoned. Way to go Christi and fellow dive shop owners for putting up the good fight against this ridiculous scheme.

It is still inconsistent at best. Some operators had issues Easter week. Others had no issues. We had issues one day, not the next.

We (operators) remain firm however that if a hotel wants to charge their guests for pier use, they are within their rights to do so - but they will have to be the "bad guys" - the operators will not take on this position or responsibility for them nor will we be fee collectors for them. Pier service is a courtesy we are happy to provide to our guests as long as we are able.

Please elaborate on that. I’ve not heard of them, and hope to hit Cozumel someday. Making the bag drag easy sounds appealing to a first time fly-in.

Please elaborate on that. I’ve not heard of them, and hope to hit Cozumel someday. Making the bag drag easy sounds appealing to a first time fly-in.

Was a $62 option CUN to Sunscape resort as I booked air on SWA. Best Day has overall favorable reviews. Easy breezy. Should be able to book right from their website or any other travel amalgamator.

It is still inconsistent at best. Some operators had issues Easter week. Others had no issues. We had issues one day, not the next.

We (operators) remain firm however that if a hotel wants to charge their guests for pier use, they are within their rights to do so - but they will have to be the "bad guys" - the operators will not take on this position or responsibility for them nor will we be fee collectors for them. Pier service is a courtesy we are happy to provide to our guests as long as we are able.

Can't wait to see when they start advertising "All inclusive, except the pier- you have to pay extra to step off of that"

Hold strong! These hotels are being ridiculous.

(My two weeks in Cozumel we did one at Sabor and one downtown. Sabor was decidedly "fine". And cheap. But we enjoyed downtown way more.)

Good review. I have stayed at both and prefer Secrets, but Sabor is a great value for the price. Those wristbands are going to be annoying to deal with.

Good review. I have stayed at both and prefer Secrets, but Sabor is a great value for the price. Those wristbands are going to be annoying to deal with.
Just returned yesterday (April 20) from staying a week at the Sunscape and my dive op picked me up at the pier everyday and never paid or even heard anything about paying the $2 dock fee--never saw a "dock cop" the whole time I was there. So if you stay at Sunscape or Secrets just go down to the dock and board your boat and don't be asking anyone about if you need to pay a dock fee.

During my recent stay at the Sabor in March, my dive op picked up at the Secrets pier each morning, as did other dive ops. I didn't encounter the so-called pier "police" until the fourth day when a guy randomly was there with a polo and clip board as I was unloading at lunchtime. The skipper pretty much blew him off and I just ignored the scene and went happily along to enjoy lunch and a drink. I'm thinking they attempt to "enforce" their pier thing when its convenient (i.e., not in the morning?). My take-away is that I'll be wary of booking with any property that opts to complicate my vacation with these shenanigans - Sabor/Secrets for example.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom