How much do you open your tank valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mine from an earlier thread.

These "out of date" practices were only instituted to cut out the time it takes to teach people how their gear works and how to take care of it. I like to call it training by catchphrase.

Case in point, 1/4 turn back derives from the fact that most valves are not made to seat when open so should not left in that condition. A very slight movement of the valve is all that is nessary, not a 1/4 turn. The issue is not so much that it would freeze open, as there are other valves in other uses that might, as someone might think it is stuck and cause damage by trying to force it open. Personally I don't care what others do, unless it is my gear.

Bob

Open the valve. Leave it all the way open and take another test breath if anyone touches it.

Open the valve. Leave it all the way open and take another test breath if anyone touches it.
No, take at least three test breaths. A closed valve, put pressurized reg, will comfortably give you one breath.

No, take at least three test breaths. A closed valve, put pressurized reg, will comfortably give you one breath.
For a test breath you need to look at your spg. A closed tank will not give you one breath without the pressure dropping. A tank closed enough to give you breathing problems early in the tank will not either. If your needle even twitches you have a problem.

For a test breath you need to look at your spg. A closed tank will not give you one breath without the pressure dropping. A tank closed enough to give you breathing problems early in the tank will not either. If your needle even twitches you have a problem.
Agreed.

All the way! Anyone who does different with modern valves is ignorant or misinformed. Hopefully those aren't offending terms.

Also, take a look at the Vindicator valve knobs if you own your own tanks. I like them. They aren’t strictly related to your question but they are very interesting from a related safety standpoint.

All the way...... why not? its youre air supply...... hi M

I learned a quarter back 40 years ago, and it is a hard habit to break, because it applies to virtually all valves found on boats and plumbing. The reason diving makes the exception is that you can find yourself struggling to breath on the bottom because someone (yourself Ora well meaning buddy/DM) was confused about your air. My tanks were originally twinned, so the valves are mirror images of each other. I feel more comfortable with drawing a breath if I know it is all the way on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom