Can't decide on a Zeagle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the info thus far. So it sounds like the Ranger is out, and I feel pretty good about that actually based on everyone's comments and suggestions.

Knowing that having your BCD serviceable at your LDS isn't that big of a deal is helpful too. That's some good info. That said, Zeagle seems to be at the higher end of the quality spectrum based on my preliminary research. I think that fact, plus the option for local service is going to keep me in their product line.

So, at the moment I'd say I'm in between the Stilleto and the Covert XT; and probably leaning more towards the Covert XT. It's lighter than the Stilleto and is Zeagle's newest offering. It doesn't even ship until June 1st. Have y'all taken a look at it yet? It seems pretty slick.

Covert XT

I do have a few questions I'm hoping someone might be able to answer regarding the new Covert XT though. The pockets are weight integrated. Does that mean, and based on what I see in the above video, that those pockets are only for weights? Or are there actual pockets there too that I'm just not visualizing? Secondly, with the MOLLE attachment system, are most, some or all accessories going to work with this BCD? Their website makes it sound like anything will work, but based on my experience with military issued MOLLE stuff, it has to be very specific; ie MOLLE specific. I'm going to give Zeagle a call tomorrow since today's Sunday, but any info between now and then would be helpful.

As far as the bp/w route, that's something I'll discuss with my instructor tomorrow before we get in the water. But based on what I've seen in these forums, it seems to be everyone's favorite setup. My initial aversion to the bp/w setup is the lack of stowing capabilities or pockets. Am I missing something there too? I like the idea of some pockets for camera accessories, signaling devices, pocket snorkel etc etc.

Hey all, thanks again for all the info and quick replies so far. It's all been very very welcoming and informative!

Check out the Zeagle Express Tech. Extremely light and versatile. You can configure it in many, many ways and it's very inexpensive. After that, I have plenty of dives in Stillettos. They are awesome, but not as awesome as the Express Tech.

. My initial aversion to the bp/w setup is the lack of stowing capabilities or pockets. Am I missing something there too? I like the idea of some pockets for camera accessories, signaling devices, pocket snorkel etc etc. !

Are you from China?

I'd avoid the Ranger, and I dive with an older one regularly. While it works for a lot of the diving I do, the drag is the threaded release for integrated weights. In an emergency, it's probably fine. But you don't want to have to re-thread it unless your life depended on it. My older unit lacks features newer ones have that are attractive, but the "ripcord" system turns me off.

If you're using BC-integrated weights, I'd go for something that has pockets that pull out as a unit. In particular, when I'm playing the victim in a rescue diver class, I have to remind the students I DON'T have integrated lead and to just undo the weight belt.

I have a Ranger and have had a Stiletto. Both have the ripcord weight system - both were easy to re-thread. The only time I've ever dropped my weights is to test that they still worked and I was able to figure out the re-threading in about 5 mins with no manual handy. If you buy a ripcord-equipped Zeagle buy the yellow weight bags - they make organizing/handing up weight easy since they unzip from the top. I've used 3/8 lead shot in mine locally and any manner of hard/soft weights traveling. I do fly with it but have a big wheeled duffel for all my gear.

I've had the Ranger for about a decade. It was serviced once since it was free from the dealer - since then all I've done is add a BX Inflatore (standard now) to make flushing easier.

I've considered an Express Tech but they really are not light compared to other travel options - including the Covert. - it comes in around 6lbs.+ when configured with pockets/weight system etc. Also not the cheapest in that form - Zeagle charges quite a bit for add-on pockets - other brands are cheaper.

The ET does seem to pack small, I folded one in a store once. However the Covert still beats it for packed size. One thing to know on the lower end Zeagle models is the wings are not universal - IIRC the ET only has two standard sizes - IDK about the Covert XT.

One thing about many of the Zeagle products is they're made from 1000 denier ballistic nylon fabric so they're pretty tough. My Ranger is sun-faded but there's no rips/tears/damage to the fabric.

I returned the Stiletto as I mistakenly thought "travel-friendly" meant it would fit in a carry-on - it does but then nothing else will...

One minor flaw with their system - at least with my Ranger - is that when standing with a tank on the front pockets are hard to open since they're right on top of the weight system pockets. I have an LTD which has the zippers on the wing for accessories - I added a zip-on pocket for a spare mask and other things not regularly used - it tucks out of the way nicely.

Last edited:
I can't imagine I'm the only one having this issue, but I really hate the tank straps with the big plastic handles on the Ranger when doing a boat dive which has big solid plastic tank holders (which you see a lot down in Florida). It's just impossible to do up the bottom band, unless you lift up the whole set-up with the tank with one hand while the boat is rocking and then quickly lock down the bottom strap. Anyone have an elegant solution for this? ;-)

As far as the bp/w route, that's something I'll discuss with my instructor tomorrow before we get in the water. But based on what I've seen in these forums, it seems to be everyone's favorite setup. My initial aversion to the bp/w setup is the lack of stowing capabilities or pockets. Am I missing something there too?
Two things. First, a lot of divers that use BP/W prefer to clip their equipment to the outside of the harness, using D-rings and Swedish clips or carabiners, with bungees to additionally streamline some items.

Personally, I clip everything that's not being inflated to myself, in a pocket or not - I'm not rich enough to share my gear with the ocean floor.

Pockets are easily added to the harness. You just thread the webbing through the pocket and a triglide to keep it in place. Weight and trim pockets are common. The name of the game with the BP/W style is customization - you order exactly the pocket that you want (small or large, solid or mesh, etc) and place it exactly where you like it.

It takes more time to set up than a jacket, but the idea is that you adjust the system to your exact needs rather than adapt to what someone else designed as some middle ground. Since there's so many to choose from, online ordering is the norm for accessories.

Back
Top Bottom