Buy wrench in Bali?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
I would like to buy a wrench (spanner?) that exactly fits my pony tank valve, as I have to take it off every time I fly. Often they only have an adjustable wrench so the valve fitting is getting a little worn.

They told me the size was 38mm and to try Ace Hardware. But before I go all over shopping, I thought I would ask here in case someone knows which is a good place to shop. I am coming from Ubud or Sanur.

Thanks,

Bill

you should be able to find one easily in Ubud, just have a look at one of the little corner shops that "sell everything" Usually the ones that deal with hardware will have all of the regular things out the front such as pvc pipes, ropes etc. I would suggest posting on the Ubud Community on FB

For what it’s worth an 1” 1/2 spanner is equivalent to 38mm if that is all that is available.

Just a question, why is the valve needed to be wrench tight? I can loosen and remove the valves on all of my tanks with just a tap to the valve with the heel of my hand. That includes the pony all the way to my 119's.

Just a question, why is the valve needed to be wrench tight? I can loosen and remove the valves on all of my tanks with just a tap to the valve with the heel of my hand. That includes the pony all the way to my 119's.

I was about to say the same. When you install, hand tight with a couple of bumps with the heel of your hand at the end. Crank down harder and you risk threads, the stem, o-ring...

I was about to say the same. When you install, hand tight with a couple of bumps with the heel of your hand at the end. Crank down harder and you risk threads, the stem, o-ring...

A couple of hand bumps on a wrench? Or a couple of bumps on the end of the fitting?

- Bill

You may be able to find a 38mm headset wrench at a bicycle store for fairly cheap.

On the knob where you turn it on- just a just a light bump or too. To truly do it right one needs a torque wrench and... I cant remember how tight manufactures dictate , but not very much. Once the valve is flush and the o-ring is in place one is good to go. Cranking down on the threads wont make things any better.

Last edited:
On the knob where you turn it on- just a just a light bump or too. To truly do it right one needs a torque wrench and... I cant remember how tight manufactures dictate , but not very much. Once the valve is flush and the o-ring is in place one is good to go. Cranking down on the threads wont make things any better.
Thanks again, Matt!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom