Saving Your Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tools? These days it isn't about size, thickness or volume...
Weight is the consideration

And you'll want to add in the METRIC set, as well.
What a bargain!
That's a bargain for me!
I think I will buy some.

If you are buying titanium wrenches, you better be using them to fix your personal submarine rather than that "scuba" gear used by the unwashed masses.

We used my cigarette lighter to take care of that.
Since I quit smoking about three decades ago, I've also quit carrying a cigarette lighter. I do, however have a thermal rope/bungee sealing device in my SAD kit. In fact it's a multifunction device which works equally well as a campfire igniter. Some people have mistaken it for a cigarette lighter, but I'm always quick to point out their mistake.

Since I quit smoking about three decades ago, I've also quit carrying a cigarette lighter. I do, however have a thermal rope/bungee sealing device in my SAD kit. In fact it's a multifunction device which works equally well as a campfire igniter. Some people have mistaken it for a cigarette lighter, but I'm always quick to point out their mistake.
I was once on a dive boat that only had 4 divers--me, my buddy, a very famous diver/instructor, and his student. That very famous diver/instructor was, of course, well known to me, both by his reputation and his past participation on ScubaBoard. He did not know me, but if he had known my ScubaBoard name, he would certainly have recalled a recent discussion in which our beliefs had clashed. I did not introduce myself, and he did not ask.

Before we left the dock, he had to make a minor repair on his student's gear, and it called for some flame. He asked if anyone had anything that would work. I went to my kit and produced my lighter. He asked why on Earth I would carry a lighter on a dive boat--was I a smoker? (He evidently meant by that question that only a really hooked smoker would bring his smoking materials on a dive boat where smoking was not allowed.) I said, no, it's just a normal part of the kit I bring to dives. I did not say that I make sure I always have a pretty full kit when I am working with a student, and I was surprised he did not have one.

I did not say that I make sure I always have a pretty full kit when I am working with a student, and I was surprised he did not have one.
Why didn't you? Too passive-aggressive?

What a bargain!
That's a bargain for me!
I think I will buy some.

As South Park's Cartman says, "Screw you guys, I'm goin' diving".

All I really need:

Denny Crane.

I was once on a dive boat that only had 4 divers--me, my buddy, a very famous diver/instructor, and his student. That very famous diver/instructor was, of course, well known to me, both by his reputation and his past participation on ScubaBoard. He did not know me, but if he had known my ScubaBoard name, he would certainly have recalled a recent discussion in which our beliefs had clashed. I did not introduce myself, and he did not ask.

Before we left the dock, he had to make a minor repair on his student's gear, and it called for some flame. He asked if anyone had anything that would work. I went to my kit and produced my lighter. He asked why on Earth I would carry a lighter on a dive boat--was I a smoker? (He evidently meant by that question that only a really hooked smoker would bring his smoking materials on a dive boat where smoking was not allowed.) I said, no, it's just a normal part of the kit I bring to dives. I did not say that I make sure I always have a pretty full kit when I am working with a student, and I was surprised he did not have one.
My favorite little "lighter" is the Optimus mini torch. No hints that I might be a smoker.
https://www.optimusstoves.com/us/ca/212-8018911-optimus-burny
9_554a3b8ebe9039.59729015.jpg

Are lighters carry on or checked in?

Since lighters are cheap, is it worth carrying one or buying at the destination?

Since lighters are cheap, is it worth carrying one or buying at the destination?
My thermal line sealing device looks like a cheap cigarette lighter and is available in most drugstores. In my type of diving vacations, I presume that the dive op can provide backup To any gear issue (they'd better...), but if I were traveling by plane with my SAD kit, I'd probably just buy another line sealing device at the destination.

My thermal line sealing device looks like a cheap cigarette lighter and is available in most drugstores. In my type of diving vacations, I presume that the dive op can provide backup To any gear issue (they'd better...), but if I were traveling by plane with my SAD kit, I'd probably just buy another line sealing device at the destination.

Would this apply to liveaboards? Since there won't be drugstores around. I could probably pick up lighters either in Bali or Labuan Bajo but I'd rather not buy something for such short use.

Are lighters carry on or checked in?

Carry on and only Zippo style. No torch lighters.

I once forgot the lighter in my kit. I was greeted at the gate and informed the lighter had been confiscated.

Back
Top Bottom