Subtropical storm Alberto?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dberry

Hydrophilic
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Any impact? Did boats stop going out because of rougher seas? Or was it a total non-event?

I'm leaving for my first trip to GC in 2 weeks and am curious how often dive boats get blown out.
-Don

Hi, I would say currently about 75% or so of all trips are running with the edges of the storm passing by. From my 1,5 year on GC I would say that is about normal when we have storms like this in the vicinity. As conditions are changeable and forecasts have a limited reliability on a smaller island like this (stuff can blow in or out quickly) it virtually impossible to say in advance if boats will running or give any guarantees. We really have to play it by ear and look out the window in the morning and decide if we can go out.

It has been a bit wetter and windier then normally last week, so can't hurt to bring a poncho/rain jacket along if conditions seems changeable when you are coming.

For what it's worth, things seems to be clearing up late next week.

Dove with Cayman Turtle Divers and Ocean Frontiers at Compass Point Dive Resort last month. Ocean Frontiers has over 50 dive sites setup in the area that they go to, but many on the north side, even with relatively good weather, were inaccessible because of wave action. Still, we dove the Kittiwake on the west side, and made some dives on the east end with Ocean Frontiers. All in all, it was a very nice experience. Hope you have great weather? Grand Cayman is a great destination.

Oh, I wasn't worried about Alberto having any bad effects in 2 weeks, but just more curious about how severe things have to get before all dive sites become unapproachable. For example, Cayman gov weather was showing 4-7 ft seas a few days ago, but I was wondering if a storm like that mainly affects one side more than the other. As in, Alberto seemed to be between Cancun and GC, so I could imagine the west side would get it worse. Or maybe both sides were miserable?

On the Brac right now and we were cancelled both yesterday (Saturday) and today (Sunday). It sounds like whatever happens on Little determines what happens here with regards to going out here. That’s too bad because after a short ride we could have access to sites on the north which are super calm. The issue, as it was presented to us, is getting out and making the jog to the other side.

Windward side of the island is usually the most affected but if the wind whips around the west side feels the affects. Normally we all go South in snotty weather . . . of course you have to be able to get the boat there :) If there is several days of bad weather many of the ops have moorings in the south so it is not usually a big issue. The wind changed unexpectedly Friday night and many scurried to pull their boats on the west side. A buddy who works out east was affected for more of the week.

Don, seems like I’m always diving there with small craft advisories in effect. In fact, every day last week when I was there was 3-5 or 4-7. Like caydiver mentioned, the dive ops just move to the lee. We dived North side all week because of the SE swell and E-SE winds.

We were there a couple years ago when a strong NW was forecast to blow in. All the ladders and some of the docks were pulled in prep. I don’t believe that we dived that day, but we went to Macabucas to watch the show... oh and have a snack and maybe an adult beverage. However, if we had wanted, we could have dived somewhere on the island.

We have been at Little Cayman Beach Resort since Sat and have not been able to go out yet. A few people at the resort rented cars to drive over to the other side of the island to shore dive. If the dives are cancelled again tomorrow we will be doing that.

On the Brac right now and we were cancelled both yesterday (Saturday) and today (Sunday). It sounds like whatever happens on Little determines what happens here with regards to going out here. That’s too bad because after a short ride we could have access to sites on the north which are super calm. The issue, as it was presented to us, is getting out and making the jog to the other side.

Both Brac and Little have channels facing almost due south to get out of the lagoon. I was on Brac about 10 years ago after a hurricane went by south of GC and headed to Belize. We tried to head out when the waves were still pretty stout the morning after and took a rogue wave that was probably 10' high over the bow as we tried to exit the channel. The force of the water hitting the windows on the front of the cabin knocked one loose and it shatter across the water cooler and several divers standing in the front end of the cabin. Nobody was seriously injured, but a couple of folks had cuts from the broken glass.

I am honestly surprised they are not trying to organize at least some guided shore diving if they are unable to go out for more than a day or two as was mentioned for LCBR above.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom