Pyrosome at Columbia Shallow.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last edited:
Very cool. I've never seen one but when I did see something like it a pyrosome was among the potential identifications until all concluded it was large squid egg mass attached to the reef.

If you run into Jose from DWM ask him about it. He spent quite a while studying it.
I just thought I'd make this posting as a data point in case more sightings come up.

A once in a lifetime for me! (?) :)

If you have a copy of the Paul Humann book and look up venus girdle it will completely contradict what Wikipedia says and the Humann photo looks exactly as the Bing photo. I've only seen one up close just once in my 25 years and it looked nothing like Christi's photo. But maybe they change colors, or spots. I have no idea.

Dave

I saw one several years ago at Cozumel. It was pretty weird looking, like a huge neutral buoyancy Slinky.

Ok I knew “we” had seen one fairly recently and this popped up as I was looking at some pictures today. This is my other half filming a pyrosome in December 2016 right after my shoulder accident so I was not on the dive

upload_2018-6-23_17-25-57.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-23_17-25-39.jpeg
    upload_2018-6-23_17-25-39.jpeg
    43.8 KB · Views: 143
  • upload_2018-6-23_17-25-39.png
    upload_2018-6-23_17-25-39.png
    505.8 KB · Views: 91
  • upload_2018-6-23_17-25-57.png
    upload_2018-6-23_17-25-57.png
    505.8 KB · Views: 84
Just to clarify what we saw, the Pyrosome was smooth and featureless on the exterior, opaque, and dark pink/ purple in color.

Yup, Ron, that's what we saw. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom