'Must have' safety items?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it’s equally important about how you stow the “safety” gear you bring with you.

Don’t let it dangle off you like a multi coloured Christmas tree.

Having loads of safety gear is great but will cause more problems if you bring excess clutter and don’t stow away properly.

Get a storage pack for backplate. Pockets on suit.

This is my dive knife, mounted to my BCD. It doubles as a knife and shears. Mini FogCutter Knife

Someone else hinted at not trying to shoot a SMB while at depth. I shot mine at a safety stop and had the line get wrapped around my inflator hose. I popped like a cork from 15'. Good thing I wasn't at depth. That was a quick lesson that will be remembered forever. That being said, I like this SMB because I can fill it from the bottom, and it doesn't leak once on the surface. New! 6ft Orange SMB

Other than that, I have a mirror, a loud whistle (much louder than those flat ones you see) and a Nautilus Dive Radio (original version). If you want the actual radio version, you will need to find one on eBay or Craigslist. They now only manufacturer the locator beacon version.

... Quick (and albeit largely rhetorical) question with regards to the DSMB - it's wise for us each to carry one eh? To get one of quality they're a bit pricey so I'm toying with holding off on those for this upcoming trip given that I'm pretty confident we'll be well supervised (both as a cruise trip sponsored dive as well due to the fact I'll make our captain/DM very aware that we're new divers). Or...am I making a mistake...?

Let me know - I won't take offense. :)

Not trying to be a worry wart but everyone thinks their dives will be well supervised... Until they're not. Some DMs are great at minding other divers with less experience. Some DMs are not. Some DMs will have more than a handful of divers to look after IN ADDITION to yourselves. Don't depend on the DM to look after you. Make it known that you are new divers but do not depend on the DM. First and foremost, your safety depends on you.

Probably a 99.9999+% chance you won't need an SMB on this trip, but if you get into a situation i.e. separation, current, lose weights, etc, you may be in the water wishing you spent the money on an SMB. That's a bad time for regrets. When divers begin to think that nothing bad is going to happen, I become concerned. I would always rather have it and not need it than... ya know.

Hope you have a great trip!

Wow, you have all missed the most important safety device. Common sense and training for the dive you plan to do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom