Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ive been quite curious about lake diving in TX actually. What’s the visibility? What’s there to see? Depth?:)

The family completed our AOW this weekend in Lake Travis (Windy Point specifically). It can be as deep as 185-ish feet. In our depth window, it was milky from the surface down to 36ft. From 40-90feet it was amazingly clear for TX lake water. I had only done five dives there previously. but even our instructor who has dove there for decades said it was clear. 25+ feet. Here you can see sunken artificial attractions, neat haunting forests, lots of fish, some of the cliffs and dropoff down to the river bed (we did not go that deep). You can also dive off of a boat called the "Giant Stride." They go to multiple other locations.

Blue Lagoon (28feet deep) has had pretty poor vis the last couple of weeks due to lots of rain and training groups. It normally has 25+ feet vis. It is a quarry dive with almost zero wildlife. Just a easy place to get wet and run drills if you'd like.

288 Lake (I hear that it can go 34-38 feet. that may be true if you don't mind burrowing into the silt) is a mud hole used almost exclusively for training. Some people go because it is close and they wanna get wet. During the winter I understand that it can have nice vis, but it is 7mm/Dry diving at that point.

After a certification process you can dive Spring Lake. It actually is clear.

There are several other quarries and lakes that see divers but I would just be reciting a google search after that. Look for "Athens Scuba Park" "Scuba Ranch" "Balmorhea" "Canyon Lake" I am sure that there are others. A missle silo up north and west.

The family completed our AOW this weekend in Lake Travis (Windy Point specifically). It can be as deep as 185-ish feet. In our depth window, it was milky from the surface down to 36ft. From 40-90feet it was amazingly clear for TX lake water. I had only done five dives there previously. but even our instructor who has dove there for decades said it was clear. 25+ feet. Here you can see sunken artificial attractions, neat haunting forests, lots of fish, some of the cliffs and dropoff down to the river bed (we did not go that deep). You can also dive off of a boat called the "Giant Stride." They go to multiple other locations.

Blue Lagoon (28feet deep) has had pretty poor vis the last couple of weeks due to lots of rain and training groups. It normally has 25+ feet vis. It is a quarry dive with almost zero wildlife. Just a easy place to get wet and run drills if you'd like.

288 Lake (I hear that it can go 34-38 feet. that may be true if you don't mind burrowing into the silt) is a mud hole used almost exclusively for training. Some people go because it is close and they wanna get wet. During the winter I understand that it can have nice vis, but it is 7mm/Dry diving at that point.

After a certification process you can dive Spring Lake. It actually is clear.

There are several other quarries and lakes that see divers but I would just be reciting a google search after that. Look for "Athens Scuba Park" "Scuba Ranch" "Balmorhea" "Canyon Lake" I am sure that there are others. A missle silo up north and west.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom