COBALT COAST RESORT on GRAND CAYMAN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...Also anyone know if the shore dive there is a good night dive?

Thanks Lisa- I can't speak to night diving there. All of my Grand Cayman night and dawn dives have been from Sunset House or on the Kittiwake. Let us know what you think about Cobalt Coast. Looking forward to your take on things.

I remember reading that they leave tanks out at night for shore divers, but I don't know anything about the night dive; you will have to tell us all about it!

...3) Sodas and coffee available between meals at the bar but at an additional charge...

Be careful about buying sodas from the bar. I don't know if the process is the same at Cobalt Coast, but last fall at Little Cayman Beach Resort we learned the hard way not to buy sodas and bottles of water from the bar because they automatically add a 15% service charge to anything purchased from the bar.

We hadn't run into this in the past because we always purchased sodas from the gift shop, but it was closed for remodeling when we last visited LCBR so we went to the bar instead - a mistake! I don't know if they have a gift shop at CC but they might also sell sodas at the front desk, you could ask.

We soon remembered that they had a refrigerator in the dive shop at LCBR and we could buy juice, water, and sodas there without paying the extra service charge. We didn't have to carry any money, you could charge things to your room from both the dive shop and the bar.

At both LCBR and CBBR, they have an ice machine for guest use near the bar. I always keep a plastic bag handy in the tote that I take on the boats (for sunglasses, cover-up, sunscreen, etc.) and after the last dive each day, on the way back to our room, we would stop at the ice machine to load the bag with ice and fill the ice bucket in our room so that we could mix drinks later. It was convenient, but I don't know if they have an accessible ice machine at CC or if you have to ask at the bar for ice? I don't think that there would be a charge for ice.

At LCBR, coffee was set up before breakfast in the screened outdoor dining area and available without charge throughout the morning. Hot tea and cold water were also available. We also had a coffee pot in our room and we preferred bringing our favorite brand of ground coffee and making it ourselves to our tastes. The resort coffee was very strong but we did drink it sometimes, usually after adding hot water and cream.

Last edited:
Thanks Kathy. Its the little tips like this that can make a difference in how smoothly a trip goes. I never thought to ask about ice. :)

If one wanted to buy a bottle of tequila on the island...?

Thanks Kathy. Its the little tips like this that can make a difference in how smoothly a trip goes. I never thought to ask about ice. :)

Liquor is very expensive in Cayman, the local rum and beer is a little better but still pricey. At the airport, before we leave the US and after we go through security, we go to the duty-free store and we each buy a liter bottle of liquor. It won't be cheap at the airport but it will be cheaper than Cayman prices.

The duty free shop will either deliver the liquor to you as you board the plane, or they will seal the bag and give it to you to carry. You can bring more then the allowance but then you will have to pay duty, but I don't know how much that would be.

This system works great if Grand Cayman is your final destination, but it isn't as easy if you have a connecting flight to Cayman Brac or Little Cayman. In those situations, after you clear Immigration and Customs on arrival in Grand Cayman, you have to exit, turn, and come back inside the ticket lounge to recheck your luggage. Then you have to go through Security to get to the departure lounge to catch your connecting flight.

Security will not let you carry any liquids over 3 ounces and they will confiscate your precious bottle. They won't care that it is sealed and duty-free. So before you re-check your bags you have to wrap your bottle well and pack it inside your checked luggage - it's a short flight and it should be okay - and they sell padded, reusable bags for bottles on Amazon.

At least that's the way it works now, but the GCM airport has been undergoing significant renovations, so hopefully they will make the system better for in-transit passengers in the future. They sell duty-free liquor in the departure lounge at GCM - or at least they used to - but you cannot buy it for interisland travel, only international travel - it's expensive anyway.

But getting back to buying liquor on Grand Cayman. They don't sell it in grocery stores, you usually have to go to a liquor store but they are often located near grocery stores. Most of the stores on the island are closed on Sundays, but a few small convenience stores, like gas station mini-marts, are open on Sunday and may have alcohol for sale (after 1 pm, I think?) The Anchorage Convenience Store at the Cayman Island Yacht Club is open on Sundays and most holidays and they sell liquor.

On Brac, there is a small liquor store near the airport that you will pass on the way to the CBBR, guests can borrow bicycles at no charge from the resort and peddle over there to buy alcohol and sodas, but it is closed all day on Sunday. Wear a hat and bring water with you because it will be a hot trip.

On Little Cayman, the only store is in Blossom Village, near the LCBR, and it is a combined grocery and liquor mart and gas station. They are open on Sundays and I think that they sell alcohol on Sunday afternoons but I am not sure. You can walk there from the resort, or bicycle it's not far - it's just beyond the Hungry Iguana Restaurant - but if you go late in the afternoon you will get eaten alive by mosquitos at dusk/night. There's a lot of vegetation along the road on the walk back.

Of course you can easily drive (on the left) to a liquor store on all 3 Cayman islands if you rent a car.

Taxis aren't cheap but they are also an option. In Cayman the taxis do not take credit cards, they will accept US and Canadian money but the change will be in Cayman dollars.

Hope this helps, have fun!

Cayman Customs Duty Free Allowances:

1) Items accompanying a passenger -

(a) if such passenger is over the age of 18 years, up to 1 liter of potable spirits or 4 liters of wine or 1 case (not exceeding 9 liters) of beer;

(b) if such passenger is over the age of eighteen years, up to -

(i) 200 cigarettes; or

(ii) 250 grams tobacco

Last edited:
Have a great trip to Cobalt Coast and please come back and tell us all about it!

It appears that more renovations are being planned for Cobalt Coast but probably not in time for your imminent trip. On TripAdvisor a recent guest left a 4-star review, her only complaint was a lack of convenient space to dry gear; this is the response from the management:

Great opportunity for lots of wonderful diving during my stay! Great facility, great food! - Review of Cobalt Coast Grand Cayman Resort, West Bay, Cayman Islands - TripAdvisor

Dive_and_Resort_Team, Guest Relations Manager at Cobalt Coast Grand Cayman Resort, responded to this review
Responded 2 days ago

"Thank you for your visit and your review, Lynne H. We are happy you enjoyed yourself and want you to know that providing everyone space to hang and dry gear is in our plans. We have owned the resort for just over 2 years and have had to rearrange priorities because certain things like new AC units in all the rooms at the main resort wouldn't wait. But we are happy you were able to stay cool. A year ago it may have been a problem. We have more renovation in process and planned, so hopefully when you return next year - we will have earned the fifth star."

Last edited:
Thanks Kathy!

We ended up with 31 folks so a good group. We are looking forward to it.

I found out that they are going to do a buffet for breakfast and lunch. For dinner they have a soup and salad bar and you order from their menu at night. Looked like they have 3 or 4 choices each night and all looked good.

Most of us are doing the afternoon dive package as well.

I’ll let you know how it goes.

Be careful about buying sodas from the bar. I don't know if the process is the same at Cobalt Coast, but last fall at Little Cayman Beach Resort we learned the hard way not to buy sodas and bottles of water from the bar because they automatically add a 15% service charge to anything purchased from the bar.

We hadn't run into this in the past because we always purchased sodas from the gift shop, but it was closed for remodeling when we last visited LCBR so we went to the bar instead - a mistake! I don't know if they have a gift shop at CC but they might also sell sodas at the front desk, you could ask.

We soon remembered that they had a refrigerator in the dive shop at LCBR and we could buy juice, water, and sodas there without paying the extra service charge. We didn't have to carry any money, you could charge things to your room from both the dive shop and the bar.

At both LCBR and CBBR, they have an ice machine for guest use near the bar. I always keep a plastic bag handy in the tote that I take on the boats (for sunglasses, cover-up, sunscreen, etc.) and after the last dive each day, on the way back to our room, we would stop at the ice machine to load the bag with ice and fill the ice bucket in our room so that we could mix drinks later. It was convenient, but I don't know if they have an accessible ice machine at CC or if you have to ask at the bar for ice? I don't think that there would be a charge for ice.

At LCBR, coffee was set up before breakfast in the screened outdoor dining area and available without charge throughout the morning. Hot tea and cold water were also available. We also had a coffee pot in our room and we preferred bringing our favorite brand of ground coffee and making it ourselves to our tastes. The resort coffee was very strong but we did drink it sometimes, usually after adding hot water and cream.

@uncfnp My husband isn't sure that they do not charge a 15% service charge for soda in the dive shop at the Clearly Cayman resorts. In fact his actual words were "I think if you bought a snorkel in the dive shop they would add on a 15% service charge!"

I didn't think that is true so I will be interested to learn what you find out at CCGCR because we will be back at CBBR in the fall.

I still feel that the best option (for those that enjoy cocktails after diving while on vacation) is for each adult to pick up a liter of his/her favorite alcoholic beverage in the duty-free store at the airport in the US and carry it with you to Cayman. Then try to pick up some mixers at a local store or gas station on Cayman and mix some of your own drinks at the resort. The airport liquor stores aren't cheap but they are usually much better on prices than buying alcohol in Cayman.

But remember if you are not stopping on GC and traveling straight on to CB or LC after going through Cayman immigration and customs, you have to carefully pad and place your bottles in your checked luggage before rechecking and going through security at GCM, because they don't allow liquids greater than 3 ounces. At least that is how it worked in the old airport. I will also be interested to learn about your experiences in the new (almost completed) remodeled GCM airport.

It's fun to join your fellow vacationers at the bar for drinks after diving, but the bill can really add up if you are not careful. And it is so hard to be careful when you are on vacation!

Have a great trip!

Last edited:
Shote diving is pretty decent but highly susceptible to wind and current. On two trips, we were only able to do 3 shore dives out of 10 days. Take an SMB on this one.

Thanks Kathy. I am not a big drinker (in fact I am a very cheap drunk :() by any means so a “dry” vacation is really a non issue for me. However Eric does like his beer so I am sure the mini fridge in the room will be well stocked early on.

@tridacna Packed! Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom