Diving & Alcohol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I think it has less to do with time passing and more to do with those who act like adults and understand moderation can probably have a beer on an SI, not make a production out of it, and do just fine. Of course going along with the standard trope of "why we can't have nice things," a group of boobs (i.e. Capt. Budweiser's) will turn a beer into a six pack or two, do stupid things, catch it on a cell phone, put it on You Tube, then somebody gets hurt, and down the rabbit hole we go...not to mention the heinousness of people getting hurt or killed doing stupid s**t. Better, easier, & safer for everyone to just go with "your first drink is your last dive" and call it a day. Honestly if somebody HAS to have a beer, they probably shouldn't no matter the circumstance. What you do when the scuba police aren't around is up to you. At some point Darwinian rules kick in. (Noting this post is not in Basic or New Divers) All this from someone who has on rare occasion had a "Bright" with my "donor brood" while shore diving in Bonaire. All IMHO, YMMV.
Sorry I digressed...:dork2:

Last edited:
then somebody gets hurt, and down the rabbit hole we go...not to mention the heinousness of people getting hurt or killed doing stupid s**t. Better, easier, & safer for everyone to just go with "your first drink is your last dive" and call it a day. H...What you do when the scuba police aren't around is up to you.
I was once leading a group trip in Cozumel on behalf of our dive shop. the operator we were using did its surface intervals at a beach restaurant, where we would usually order a light snack (like a quesadilla) and a Coke or something else along those lines. One day of of the divers wondered if she could have a beer during the surface interval. People started to offer opinions, mostly "Why not?" I said, "Please don't do this to me." As the group leader, I had no real authority to stop her, but many would infer that I did. If she were to have any kind of accident on the second dive after having a beer, the beer would be blamed, and I would be blamed for allowing it to happen.

So, did she do it to you?

Interesting thread. I was in Grand Cayman and stayed one of the famous resorts. Every evening when I sat at dinner with my 2 other buddies, one of which was a Navy Diver, they would say to us: "What would you guys like to drink?" The answer was always the same:" Water please". I did notice some disgruntlement from the waitresses and realized that we were one of the few tables where no one was drinking alcohol. Only when the diving was done at weeks end did one of my buddies had a beer.My Navy buddy use to say: "Serious divers don't drink and dive.":)

I was in Grand Cayman and stayed one of the famous resorts. Every evening when I sat at dinner with my 2 other buddies, one of which was a Navy Diver, they would say to us: "What would you guys like to drink?" The answer was always the same:" Water please".

Was their wine selection really that bad? :)

Seriously now: I was always curious when reading history that people drank beer, wine, and hard ciders because the water wasn't safe to drink. If that's true, how did they survive to puberty without drinking water or dying from liver disease? Of course surviving to puberty was an accomplishment before the 1900s.

Was their wine selection really that bad? :)

LOL. I don't know since I did not drink. We spent all our hard earned money on nitrox and dive gear. You know those plates on BP/Ws wear out.:)

Back
Top Bottom