As tech diver, diving single tank no-deco rec. in trim, what is your waist/hip lead?

As tech diver, diving single tank no-deco rec. in trim, what is your ditchable weight?

• None ditchable

Votes: 42 62.7%
  • 1-2 lb. belt or hip integrated

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3-6 lb. belt or hip integrated

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • 7+ lb. belt or hip integrated

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • Other location ditchable

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Rec small double side mount, none ditchable

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Rec small double side mount, 1-4 lb. ditchable

• Rec small double side mount, 5+ lb. ditchable

• Not tech trained, 0-2 ditchable

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Not tech trained, 3+ lb. ditchable

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really don't know, I use my tech equipment on every dive. But I would try it then in a pool at home before the trip. I have some basics from my beginning 1750 dives back, so that would be the startingpoint.

Last edited:
I dive rec in sidemount and I'm negative with all these bolt snaps, so no additional weight at all.

A good number of tech might prefer side mount, so I stretched the single tank rec definition to include small side mount as well.... But not so big that you're neutral or negative with just your gear.

but I am negative with just my gear...

Last edited:
I dive weighted to try and be neutral with all my tanks (doubles, stages, deco) near or at empty. That way I should be able to hold a shallow stop on my last bottle of breathing gas. I have redundant buoyancy for wing or suit issues.
Michael, what about when you dive rec? That is single tank, not all the doubles, stages, etc. For those dives, how much of your lead is in waist or weight belt area. What type of plate are you using for rec.? AL or ST?

Last edited:
I really don't know, I use my tech equipment on every dive. But I would try it then in a pool at home before the trip. I have some basics from my beginning 1750 dives back, so that would be the startingpoint.
So for rec. boat dives you still dive tech doubles. Thanks.

As a cold blooded cold water 49yo diver with a history of dcs (and generally feeling crappy after some dives) I found the choices laughable. I have a crushed neoprene suit and weezles fluffiest undergarment
There is a `+` on that 7 lb. choice :). We only get 10 survey choices. I'm within 5 lb. of your weighting, so the choices were not constructed from any warm water centric world view.

Michael, what about when you dive rec? That is single tank, not all the doubles, stages, etc. For those dives, how much of your lead is in waist or weight belt area. What type of plate are you using for rec.? AL or ST?

It depends on the water temp and consequently what suit I'm wearing, but I always load up as much as I can on my cam bands (using threadable weight pockets). I sometimes also stack a second steel backplate (5 or 6 lbs) if I need the weight and so it stays over my lungs.

There is a `+` on that 7 lb. choice :). We only get 10 survey choices. I'm within 5 lb. of your weighting, so the choices were not constructed from any warm water centric world view.
"within 5lbs" is not "close"
I saw nothing in your choices with 20+lbs of lead. I'd guess the majority of divers in Puget Sound use well over 25lbs in a steel tank who aren't overweighted either.

"within 5lbs" is not "close"
I saw nothing in your choices with 20+lbs of lead. I'd guess the majority of divers in Puget Sound use well over 25lbs in a steel tank who aren't overweighted either.
I could have been more exact in comparing my weighting, two less than your total but two more than your ditchable, 36 total, 14 belt, 10 integrated. As I mention up thread. +/- 2 lb. seemed close.

From the results, it does not seem as if the main area where we might like more data is in the differences of 7lb. vs 20lb. ditchable hidden within the one 7+ choice.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom