Review Instructions for ditchable trim weight pouches for single tank diving on Halcyon backplate with Halcyon trim weight pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

datth

Contributor
Reaction score
San Francisco Bay Area & Northern Virginia
# of dives
200 - 499
For those rare instances when I dive single tank in cold Monterey water and having to attach tail weights to trim my rig out, I found this solution works very well for me. I can't say this is the standard followed by the rest of BAUE, but I hope it would. :p

I didn't like having to cam on the tail weights every time and this works for tropical and soft weights too. You can make this with extra webbing from your harness kit, trim pockets, two sliders, bolts from your MC Storage Pak, and a brass grommet kit from Home Depot or Amazon for $10. You can turn the pockets either way to make it ditchable and have additional ditchable weight right on the belt of the backplate on the right hand side.

If you are properly weighted (!!!), you rarely need more than what you can carry with these pockets.

Hope this is useful! Cheers!

169739103_10110561523918263_587791143180752383_n.jpg

169123974_10110561527740603_4578145737499665965_n.jpg

170022799_10110561527915253_5474474986399416858_n.jpg

168749344_10110561527835413_6626150925475675063_n.jpg

169297540_10110561527790503_2806044005422573908_n.jpg

I am always looking for ways to bring the weight lower. I currently have trim weights on a third cam band. Is this roughly the same?

I am always looking for ways to bring the weight lower. I currently have trim weights on a third cam band. Is this roughly the same?

I don't know where the third cam band is on your rig, as I don't know the BCD type or backplate and wing configuration of your rig. I dive on Halcyon aluminum and CF backplates and the bolt I use to attach these pouches are indeed the lowest possible.

When you dive in a DIR horizontal position, these tail weights will offset your heavier upper torso and allow you to perfectly trim out. Hope that explains it.

My fault for not expanding. Halcyon steel backplate + STA + 30 lb lift wing with top cam band where the tank straightens and the second cam band eleven inches below, the third cam band is right above the boot of the tank.

Looking at your third picture, your weights are probably positioned slightly below where the second cam band meets your plate.

My fault for not expanding. Halcyon steel backplate + STA + 30 lb lift wing with top cam band where the tank straightens and the second cam band eleven inches below, the third cam band is right above the boot of the tank.

Looking at your third picture, your weights are probably positioned slightly below where the second cam band meets your plate.

Yes, it depends on how you attach your two Halcyon cam bands to your backplate also, either through the vertical slits (minimalist travel style) or using single tank adapters (like I do). I like using these separate ones because it's more modular and I can easily detach the cam bands and pack the whole kit down to travel. I can also easily move back and forth between my double and single tanks.

1703826087959.png

I am confused. Why not just mount the trim pockets on the bottom cam band of the STA?

1) It sits even lower than on the cam band, thus more leverage for maximum trimming effect with the smallest weight.
2) The weights sit flat on the backplate while in trim and stable, compared to on the band which is higher and induces rotation and instability.
3) I don't like things, esp weights, hanging out of the cam band. This is sleeker, in the slip stream, and reduces drag.

Just realized that this does remind me of the Helium Dive Fly trim weight system.

With the added bonus of my system being completely free (save the reusable weight pockets and $10 grommet kit), modular, and open-sourced. :rofl3:

You can fill all 3 rows of holes and you'd get the equivalent to that system, but you don't need to do that if weighted properly.

Back
Top Bottom