What Port to Put Pressure Gauge on Pony (redundant)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would say you have the regulator set up wrong. If you have it back mounted then the last thing you want is a hose sticking out sideways.

You want to turn the first stage 90 degrees so the hose runs straight down and then under your arm and then up to
Your neck on a neck lanyard. You want the gauge sticking straight up so you can see the pressure when you turn the tank on. It will be very obvious when you try it.

Having it back mounted and the gage pointing down would require you to use a mirror or hold the entire rig upside down? Just have the gage straight up and the pony mounted slightly below the primary so the pony and gage are protected from impact when a Goliath grouper drags you into a wreck

And your buddy is not going be checking the pressure in your pony underwater - ever.

Ive been wearing it on my left over the shoulder and clipped off above my air 2. The reg is upside down but doesn't bother me. I am going to try the right side now for a bit and go under my arm, not down with a necklace holder but will stick it in a goggle strap on the side of D ring and see how that works. I have only worn it a time or 2.

I wear a pony bottle on my main tank when I am spearfishing, only. Also as stated, I check the gauge prior to splash and make sure the tank is on, reg is on a necklace. Other than that I prefer to sling a bottle.

Ive been wearing it on my left over the shoulder and clipped off above my air 2. The reg is upside down but doesn't bother me. I am going to try the right side now for a bit and go under my arm, not down with a necklace holder but will stick it in a goggle strap on the side of D ring and see how that works. I have only worn it a time or 2.

Not sure what a goggle strap is, but one of the strong benefits of having a SSI and a pony second on a necklace is that if you are descending in rough water, or current or fighting your way down an anchor line or descending into the bubble steam of a diver below you, then a chest mounted second does not give you the feedback on a second stage freeflow. When you are swimming straight down, it is easy to ignore bubbles going over your chest and legs, especially since your exhalations will be going over your body.

Without any readable pressure gauge, an undetected freeflow on the pony can be a problem. If the second stage is mounted at your neck, it will be very unlikely that a significant freeflow will go unnoticed. Even when the diver is upside down a freeflow from a necklace reg will rattle your neck and you will realize it pretty quickly.

I don't trust someone that is unable to detect a freeflowing reg to watch his SPG though.

A moderate freeflow can occur while fighting your way down an anchor line into the current in the head down position. With the anchor rope possibly brushing against you, bubbles from divers below, a high exertion rate while trying to pull down against a current, when fighting a big fish at depth and banging into the bottom, these are all situations where some extra bubble over your chest and legs could go unnoticed for a short time.

With his proposed set up, he can not check his pony supply during the dive. A significant weakness of the proposed back mounted configuration that should be mitigated as best he can by placing the second stage in the best position.

Remember, if a normal octopus from the primary tank freeflows, the diver can instantly check on the quantity of air lost.

I don't understand your point?

Agree with Tbone. That is how mine is mounted (if I sling it). Lately its back mounted.

I sling mine, but something else I did that I really like is went to din the smaller profile seems easier to me

Back
Top Bottom