Stream2sea sunscreen coats my gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcpowell

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So after a week of diving in Coz last month, my son pointed out to me that all my gear looked like it was coated in sunscreen.

Anyone have an easy solution to remove it from regulator hoses, etc?

So after a week of diving in Coz last month, my son pointed out to me that all my gear looked like it was coated in sunscreen.

Anyone have an easy solution to remove it from regulator hoses, etc?

I may not have the right answer. That being said, I dilute dawn dish soap into a plastic storage tub/bath tub, and soak my gear for a couple of hours in that solution. I than drain the tub, and finally rinse my gear well.

I also stopped wearing sunscreen and used proper exposure protection.

Stream2sea did that to my mask also. Badger Sport, which is also reef safe but uses zinc oxide, doesn’t as much. While using proper exposure protection is optimal, your face is still exposed on swim outs.

Erik

Titanium dioxide based sunscreens (that's what stream2sea is) are greasy in my experience. Put a bunch of dish soap into a bucket and wash your gear with it. Some gentle scrubbing will probably help. Just make sure you rinse all the soap off your gear afterward.

You could use a stronger degreaser if necessary but personally I'd stick to dish soap. Remember it will also probably remove any lube (such as on o-rings etc) that it comes into contact with so you might have to re-service your gear.

If you're getting it on your gear, you're using wayyy too much. That's kind of why it comes in such small tubes. You don't slather it on like you do with No-ad or Coppertone, you put a dab (less than the size of a dime) in your hand, rub your hands together, and that's plenty for your face and arms. Same dab for your legs and feet. If you can see your skin turn white after application, you're using too much.

And, from the Stream2Sea website:

Will your sunscreen stain my clothes?
Mineral sunscreens are naturally whitening and may discolor dark clothing or gear. It will easily wash out with soap and water in most cases, and using an enzyme based stain remover will help. For gear, a little soap and water plus a scrub brush will usually remove any staining or whitening.

Our tinted sunscreens use iron oxides for color, and like most mineral make-ups or other sunscreens, they can discolor clothing or towels. The best way we have found to remove mineral stains is to pre-treat with citric acid or lemon juice and let sit overnight before washing in the hottest water your garment can safely handle, and then air dry.

BC Life works...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom