Be there on the 20th, dislocated shoulder over two weeks ago. Ok to dive?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blackbart

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Good morning,
If I tape and secure r shoulder?
I cannot visit with out diving!

Careful about putting your elbow up. Arms above your head is now a no-no. 3 weeks in a sling is mandatory.

Know how to put your shoulder back in all by yourself? Even at depth?

Getting in and out of the wetsuit is going to be a whole new experience for you...especially in. That BCD is going to feel rough on your shoulder too.

Experience is a hard Teacher.

No wetsuits!
T-shirt and bc
Got to do what you Gotta do.

Is this your first dislocation...if so you want to give the ligaments time to tighten up. Any movement as described in the previous two posts can cause problems. You can get a brace that stops you from moving your arm in a compromising position....best to see a physiotherapist and a sports medicine doctor. I speak from experience as I didn't do any of this and ended up with a chronic condition.

I don’t want to do anything either, I refuse to pay for overpriced medical procedures

I don’t want to do anything either, I refuse to pay for overpriced medical procedures

That could be a mistake, my husband had a tear in a shoulder ligament and he decided against treatment and he ended up with a chronic shoulder condition that has restricted and limited activities.

It depends on you, your dive op, and your dive buddy. I have a wrecked shoulder and depending on the day can present issues that ibuprofen can't touch.

Make sure your dive op knows the issue. I have dove with lots of people that either put their gear on in the water, or sitting on the back of the boat if it's a giant stride type entry. No other divers on the boat have ever had an issue if it takes a few minutes more to descend. We dive with Aldora and there are no issues with taking your gear off in the water and the DM will hand it up to the Capitan. I believe most 6 pack boats will do the same. Remember to tip well. Shoulder straps on your BCD that unbucke will help.

Not using your arm during the dive should not be an issue. I can't speak about the possibility of aggravating the injury....but that's your call. Ibuprofen is your friend. I take my "vitamin I" damn near every day.

Like you, if I was in Cozumel, it would take a severe injury to keep me from diving.

Good luck, safe travels.
Jay

I'm not seeing much background info. @Blackbart are you asking for a medical opinion on diving with a dislocated shoulder? If so did you have any radiologic studies done to check for soft tissue damage, e.g. the ligaments mentioned previously?

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom