Another pier!?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw this article in the news:

COROG11.jpg

By Gabriel Aguilar

COZUMEL, October 11.- A fourth pier for cruise ships would have at least three consortiums interested in being the owners, one local and two foreign shipping companies. The alleged ideal area would be from San Miguel dock to SSA de México, south of the island. The current city council, would not support the project in another area.

After the governor announced in recent days that there could be a fourth pier for cruises on the island, now the mayor Pedro Joaquín Delbouis, said that a new dock would give entry to other shipping companies in growth, with a market different from the North American one.

He pointed out that the destination is in competition with Havana, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and incorporating more maritime structure, would end up consolidating Cozumel as a leader in this sector.

He argued that he would support the new dock as long as it is built on the waterfront of the SSA dock in Mexico to the San Miguel dock, otherwise he would oppose it, manifesting a resounding no when creating it on the side of the Puerto de Abrigo Banco Playa or in zones of the National Commission of Protected Natural Areas.

He stressed that the local company that owns the pier for Punta Langosta cruises is one of those interested in participating in the concession. Others would be the shipping companies Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC) and another foreign one.

He says that the area referred to for construction in the south of the island, would not represent a risk of environmental damage and that if it were to be built, it would be opening employment sources on the island.

He ended by saying "whether we like it or not, Cozumel lives on cruises and we have to maintain our leadership there, and above all, create jobs for youth."

Just seeing that photo of a pair of cruise ships side-by-side, disgorging the pod people hordes, once again makes me question the whole point ? Those things are far more crowded than even the big city I live in (Dallas/Ft. Worth), calling that a vacation is beyond my understanding! MY idea of a vacation is a VERY remote live aboard where I don't see another boat or soul for days on end!

Just what Cozumel needs.. ANOTHER pier. Good Lord it is already difficult to find a cruise leaving the United States that doesn't stop in Cozumel! However, the cruise industry is changing with the mega ships and the goal has become to make the mega ship the destination. Most cruises now chalk up one stop at their private islands where they hold the cruises captive and continue to sell $10 drinks on the beach (No $1 Sol beers to be found on those corporate owned and developed day islands).

If Cozumel sees another pier I can see other cruise ports and their economies suffering as the ships will forego multiple stops for one long trip to Coz and back with another stop at their private islands. I personally wouldn't be surprised to see another pier built as there is $ in it for the powers that be and, unfortunately, the locals will pay the price as they have again and again. Contrary to the belief that the industry benefits Coz and its citizens that is not the case. All that $ that changes hands on the first few streets and all those port charges are sucked away from the island by mainland and corporate interests like a giant vacuum cleaner. By the way, this is not my view but what I have learned in conversations with older citizens of Coz who remember what was promised and know what has happened and has not been delivered. Where are the new schools? Where are the new roads, sidewalks, water and sewer systems, infrastructure, and affordable housing the cruise ships were supposed to create outside the tourist area? Where are the higher wages everyone was told they would benefit from? According to the old timers, they were sold a bill of goods by their governors and the cruise industry reps. The coming of the cruise ships hasn't done anything they view as beneficial to their homes or the island on which they live. Oh, they also weren't thrilled to see the invasion of the smart phone that they view as a VERY expensive toy to purchase and maintain so that says a little something about the age group of those who told me all of this but when they see so much of their kids minimal disposable income being spent on phones and service plans they aren't happy about it..

I'm interested in hearing if others have heard the same things in their conversations with older locals.

AS El Graduado stated, this article is talking about something a few investors WANT to do - that does not mean it WILL happen.

I know El Graduado personally and will say that he truly is a legitimate Cozumel historian as well as very much in the know regarding island politics and happenings - so I gratefully defer to his opinions and information he generously shares here and elsewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom