sub-tropical drysuit undergarment choice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Lorenzoid

It sounds like we have similar temperature tolerance. Diving this summer in 73-78f my 250g SmartWool and some merino hiking boot socks worked well for me under my FouthElement Argonaut drysuit.

Mark

@Lorenzoid

It sounds like we have similar temperature tolerance. Diving this summer in 73-78f my 250g SmartWool and some merino hiking boot socks worked well for me under my FouthElement Argonaut drysuit.

Mark

I have SmartWool baselayer as well, but so far I have only used it as a baselayer underneath the BZ200 jumpsuit when I was in what to me was really cold water--down to 46F. The thing with wearing nothing but a thin baselayer is that when changing in and out of the drysuit you're basically walking around in your underwear--fine if you're among friends, but a little awkward for my taste in some situations.

Although I have a Fusion wicking base layer for my Fusion drysuit, that is just an interchangeable option with various REI wicking layers when I dive. But for a little added warmth, you might consider trying Lavacore or one of the other such non-neoprene wetsuit options. I haven't tried it myself, but I have a couple of customers who (whom?) I suggested that to, and it is has become their default for moderate temp drysuit diving.

Addendum: I meant to point out that using Lavacore makes it a dual purpose dive layer, rather than a highly specialized single use layer.

For freezing water you need a bunch of pricey specialized gear, including a thick made-for-purpose undergarment, electric vest, and argon. Wearing a drysuit in warmer water you can be more casual with sweatpants, sweaters, etc. You don't really need anything at all; diving in the regular duds you drive to the shore in is an option to.

Although I have a Fusion wicking base layer for my Fusion drysuit, that is just an interchangeable option with various REI wicking layers when I dive. But for a little added warmth, you might consider trying Lavacore or one of the other such non-neoprene wetsuit options. I haven't tried it myself, but I have a couple of customers who (whom?) I suggested that to, and it is has become their default for moderate temp drysuit diving.

Addendum: I meant to point out that using Lavacore makes it a dual purpose dive layer, rather than a highly specialized single use layer.

I have a lot of Lavacore garments. I think it's really crap as a drysuit undergarment. It does not breathe or wick nearly well enough to be good under a drysuit. I think medium weight Merino wool is much better.

So what did you end up getting? It looks like we have similar cold tolerance and I'm wondering what will work for me here in South FL :)
@seeker242 if you figure it out let me know. I just pulled out the drysuit based on the cold snap here last week. Don't have any tropical wicking undergarments yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom