question on Doubles manifold isolator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Landlocked123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I assembled my first set of doubles. Followed the videos. Installation went perfect that i could tell. Isolator bar had play in it all the way till the end.. I got it adjusted where I wanted it.. locked down the nuts on the isolator bar to keep the konb where i wanted it and got the tanks filled.. Today I went to move the isolator knob slightly forward and after unlocking the nuts I was able to do it but it was tight to turn. Is this normal? in other words, once fully installed and filled, should the isolator bar still have free play with little to no force same as during the installation? I don thave any leaks and the gaps in the threads on either side are very consistent so everything is aligned but its the lack of play that concerns me.

Your tank bands tightened up will make adjustments harder.

Did you considered the 260bar pressure

DON'T BE FIDDLING WITH THIS STUFF THEN ASKING QUESTIONS

EMPTY YOUR TANKS AND CHANGE YOUR BAR ORINGS

Agree, your initial setup was with empty cylinders, if you charged it and then tried to make adjustments under pressure you will for one get resistance. even if you close both cylinder valves your manifold remains under pressure, no way to purge it and release the pressure.

Happy-diver please clarify. Brand new manifold.. no leaks, all I did was adjust the knob slightly... why would i have to change o rings and drain the tanks? Adjusting the angle of the isolator knob after filled and assembled is common practice from what I understand...

Happy-diver please clarify. Brand new manifold.. no leaks, all I did was adjust the knob slightly... why would i have to change o rings and drain the tanks? Adjusting the angle of the isolator knob after filled and assembled is common practice from what I understand...

What they are referring to.... the O-rings are now under pressure. Therefore if you did not properly lube the O-rings and decided to make major adjustments (not just changing the angle of the knob). Then you can potentially pinch and tear the O-Rings that seal the manifold connections. As long as you lubed the O-rings and made a slight movement of the manifold knob. Not trying to turn it all the way around etc... you are fine. Yes people make the final minor adjustments under pressure all the time. Some have done it at depth after hitting the knob and it moved.

Gotit.. yeah I only turned it about 1/4 turn after pressurized... again I checked with soap bubbles... not even the slightest hint of a leak.. I did not crank on the thing with a wrench... Again appreciate the feedback. Leaving as is.

DON'T BE FIDDLING WITH THIS STUFF THEN ASKING QUESTIONS

EMPTY YOUR TANKS AND CHANGE YOUR BAR ORINGS
huh? why?
everything is under pressure of course it slightly harder to move

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom