Marine Park "Nature Fee" increases to $40 effective January 1, 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And like you said: what would that 20K 4-star visitors actually do? No beaches to speak of, ~hour pretty drive with flamingoes in the distance, a bunch of donkeys, and picturesque goats on the roadside.
You'll be surprised watching Curacao 2.01. In the Westpunt, now the fishermen clean fish right on the pier, and this attracts turtles. I do not find watching a bunch of green turtles fighting over a fish head particular entertaining but boats bring hordes of snorkelers there. On the east side of the island opposite Westpunt, we used to like the bokas because they were so remote. We used to spend half day there before our flight home without seeing anyone, just hiking along the shore, watching the surf and the blowholes. Now they made it a "park", charge $10 for entrance, and bring busloads of tourists who crowd all over the place while tour guides apparently tell them something. You can't take a single shot there without some fat guy getting into the frame. I honestly do not understand what brings all these people there, but most likely they do not understand this either. Why don't they jump off the cliff like lemmings do, just to perfect the picture?

It is legal to fish from shore or boat with pole or handline, with the exception of a few restricted areas. The area around Habitat mentioned above is in the middle of one of those restricted areas.
View attachment 493164
I've seen some guys spearfishing in Nukove, which is in the yellow zone on your map.

I've seen some guys spearfishing in Nukove, which is in the yellow zone on your map.
Spear fishing, with the exception of Lionfish, with a very specific spear (a registered ELF) is prohibited on Bonaire and I have seen divers have their equipment and park permits taken by STINAPA in the past.

You'll be surprised watching Curacao 2.01. In the Westpunt, now the fishermen clean fish right on the pier, and this attracts turtles.

Well. We missed the whale shark by a couple of weeks... Yes, I was surprised at the number of turtles at AllWest. And the beach to the left is full of snorkelers in teletubby masks on weekends. Still, California closed down as did the other Chinese place in Barber and without the floating market, the waterfront looked a bit... bare.

When I bought my tag this morning at DFB, they told us that the new $45 tags will be here at the end of this week, and they'll be pulling the $25 tags then.
They also said that the new port fee for cruise ships will be the same $45 per head, including crew, but it wont happen until the contracts are up for renegotiation. I don't know if it's true, but that's what they told me.

Also, despite what tarponchick said, conditions are good right now. Far better than my last trip in Dec of 16. Better viz, coral appears to have regrowth over dead coral, the fish are thicker than I remember from Dec of 15, which many here said was the best in a long time.

Thanks for the update. My last trip to Bon was '16. It is still on my list to return. Maybe '20.

Also, despite what tarponchick said, conditions are good right now. Far better than my last trip in Dec of 16. Better viz, coral appears to have regrowth over dead coral, the fish are thicker than I remember from Dec of 15, which many here said was the best in a long time.

I am very happy to hear this. When we were there in December last year most sites looked good but some like Tolo were a bit rough. This year in February, the water was COLD for Bonaire. I was showing 77 degrees F. on my computer. The coral and fish life was excellent. I'm hoping that is still the case in a few weeks!

Another vote here that the new policy is flawed. I agree that the increase in rate from $25.00 to $40.00 is reasonable. HOWEVER.....It is only fair that Cruise Ship Visitors ALSO pay for the privilege of using the beaches and ocean of the Marine Park. Perhaps there could be Kiosks set up at the Pier as well at the beaches for travelers to purchase their day pass. Monitors could make random checks and if someone does not have a badge then one can be purchased on the spot. I agree that residents and minors can be exempt, but visiting adults, divers and non divers should be required to contribute to the marine park costs.

Cruise ships pay "port fees" etc. I wouldn't have a clue how much of that, if any, trickles down to STINAPA, but I strongly suspect they exactly don't get a free ride.

What beaches? Have you seen Lanikai or North Cottesloe or even just AllWest in Curacao?

I do not have Facebook so have not seen the message announcing these increases personally. Did they have anything to say about raising prices for access to the Washington Slaagbai Park?

Back
Top Bottom