Coming Norte

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry Manate Diiver,

There is a small number of divers who get "lost" here. It usually happens when some in the group is allowed to surface seperately and the chase boat can't follow all the bubble. That is why Aldora keeps it's small groups loosely together until surfacing under the care and watchful eye of the DM.

It is sometimes just an hour or less that they are "lost" but I am sure it seems much more to the "lost diver". Our biggest problem is picking up a "lost diver" who is usually alone and does not even know what boat he or she was on. So far it has alway worked out and after 25 years here I don't recall any diver being lost that way…but there have been some hit fatally by oncoming boats…use a float or dive with an op that does.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Our biggest problem is picking up a "lost diver" who is usually alone and does not even know what boat he or she was on.
A good time to remind people to take note of the name of their boat, the op, and to ask what radio channel their captain is using before they hit the water. My very first day in Cozumel we sat on the boat watching over a pair of divers who had surfaced and couldn't remember the name of their op (but oddly knew the boat's name) and had no concept of a radio channel. Our captain had to channel surf to find their boat and have them picked up.

@Dave Dillehay and @Christi, thank you both for keeping us all updated on the weather and the education on what wind direction and conditions are most likely to cause port closure and where to watch for coming development. Now, if you can just keep the wind blowing out of the south around this time next month, I'll really appreciate it. Accuweather shows that the wind will be from the ENE-ESE the week I'm there, and with a name like Accuweather, you know they have to be right. :wink:

Somehow the Mexican Navy decided to step in and enforce the port closure that occurred this morning even though conditions are OK, Blocking the Fonatur harbor, not letting anyone out and taking inventory of all boats in the harbor.

That means we cannot get out and preposition on the east side which should be perfect tomorrow. We don't have any problem with the Harbor Master but he can't control the Navy. We have no idea why this was done but hope it is some silliness and not that a jealous competitor pushed it.

So, while tomorrow would be a perfect and safe day over there, we can't. However, we will do all we can to see that it doesn't happen again.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

We have no idea why this was done but hope it is some silliness and not that a jealous competitor pushed it.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Let me get this straight... You believe the Mexican Navy would close the port and all small boat island commerce because a local dive shop complained about Aldora prepositioning boats on the east side?

What color are the clouds in your world?

That means we cannot get out and preposition on the east side which should be perfect tomorrow. We don't have any problem with the Harbor Master but he can't control the Navy. We have no idea why this was done but hope it is some silliness and not that a jealous competitor pushed it.
Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Ok Dave - this is where I respectfully remind you that "it's not all about you Dave.” We all have our own businesses and divers to manage - not to conspire against and sabotage others.

You know that I have great respect for Memo and the Aldora operation, but your repeated and consistent disparagement of other shops, insinuations that other shops are unsafe, jealous of your operation, or otherwise trying to sabotage your east side operations is absurd and borderline offensive.

Rather than making ridiculous accusations and disparaging others, why not focus on what you do well.

With all respect, dear Dave and Christi and all.

Aldora isn't Dave's or anyones else's personality. Aldora has it's own personality and ethics, we respect of all the shops, and people here on the Island. We do a lot of things for the island people, specially the youth. Like the programs we have with the high schools; like scholarships, english classes, sponsoring cultural and sports events, etc.

It's sad to see people getting involved in silly arguments when it may look like it's something personal. We are confident of ourselves, that we are the ones that do the job here and take decisions where, when and how to dive, all as an Aldora team, here in Cozumel, that love our job and we are really proud of it. And we are also proud to be and Aldorian and deliver the best service for our clients. Please don't generalise, you know better than Christi, Aldora is a big, strong team. Full of great individuals.

- Memo Mendoza and the Aldora team.

Ok Dave - this is where I respectfully remind you that "it's not all about you Dave.” We all have our own businesses and divers to manage - not to conspire against and sabotage others.

You know that I have great respect for Memo and the Aldora operation, but your repeated and consistent disparagement of other shops, insinuations that other shops are unsafe, jealous of your operation, or otherwise trying to sabotage your east side operations is absurd and borderline offensive.

Rather than making ridiculous accusations and disparaging others, why not focus on what you do well.

Dear Christi,

For you to pretend that other dive ops are not jealous of the special services that only Aldora does provide and gets away with, is incredulous. Several years ago I took heat for posting "Cozumel Sleeze" which recognizes the ugly competition that can and does occur between dive ops in Cozumel. To pretend that we are all in a "kum bye ya" relationship is not rational, in my opinion. Yes, we know that there are many ops breaking rules but we don't go after them. For me to assume that others "might" do what they can to stop our special services is not paranoia.

But no matter what, we will go on.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

PS Yes, all I do is focus on what we do well as opposed to the norm.

Dear Christi,

For you to pretend that other dive ops are not jealous of the special services that only Aldora does provide and gets away with, is incredulous. Several years ago I took heat for posting "Cozumel Sleeze" which recognizes the ugly competition that can and does occur between dive ops in Cozumel. To pretend that we are all in a "kum bye ya" relationship is not rational, in my opinion. Yes, we know that there are many ops breaking rules but we don't go after them. For me to assume that others "might" do what they can to stop our special services is not paranoia.

But no matter what, we will go on.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

PS Yes, all I do is focus on what we do well as opposed to the norm.
Sad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom