Norte coming Nov 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was referring to Windguru prediction for week from Monday. No Big cold front pushing through midwest (Kansas to Oklahoma down to Texas) this week. Yes a bit of noth wind but not the cold front. It probably won't make it to Cozumel but if it does it will be short lived (1day). It is that big cold front high North winds that May make it down and form a true persistent Norte.

Looking at windguru cozumel this min, the wind shift is breaking down on 21st.

Windguru is a great tool but don't look too far ahead.

I also like
To help visualize weather patterns.

Ggunn has some good advise also.
FWIW, that wunderground page predicts a front passing through Austin on Thursday afternoon (11/9), but it's not as strong winded or as cold as the one last week. Wet, though.

Can you just let us off here? :D
We have come to love that Austin non stop, just can’t always do a week, Saturday to Saturday. The airport seemed a bit different as well near the shuttles. I was there last in June, seems the Cozushuttle raised their prices maybe, 13.00 a person. We had 4 so they offered a private ride for 45.00. We were the only flight going through customs and the plane was half empty so it was quick.

Port remained closed yesterday and by mid afternoon it was pretty bad with heavy whitecaps and waves splashing over the seawall down town
This Morning it was pretty calm and the port finally opened after 8 am for Villa Blanca and south. By the time tanks and divers made it to the marina it was 9:30 before the first dive boats made it out
. Wind started building by late morning and by 2PM when the first boats were heading back it was moderately rough above Punta Tunich. Port closed again around 3PM and unfortunately it was justified.
Per the marina gossip I was told the new Port Captain started in September and is also ex-Navy like the last gentleman. Last week of September conditions were marginal and he made a judgement call to keep it open. According to the marina gossip some overloaded snorkel boats went out and 1-3 (?) Got in to trouble / sunk. Port Captain was given a lot of grief over it.
So far 4 1/2 of the last 5 days the port has been closed and while I, and most divers I know have been disappointed, the general feel is that the closures have been justified.

Port remained closed yesterday and by mid afternoon it was pretty bad with heavy whitecaps and waves splashing over the seawall down town
This Morning it was pretty calm and the port finally opened after 8 am for Villa Blanca and south. By the time tanks and divers made it to the marina it was 9:30 before the first dive boats made it out
. Wind started building by late morning and by 2PM when the first boats were heading back it was moderately rough above Punta Tunich. Port closed again around 3PM and unfortunately it was justified.
Per the marina gossip I was told the new Port Captain started in September and is also ex-Navy like the last gentleman. Last week of September conditions were marginal and he made a judgement call to keep it open. According to the marina gossip some overloaded snorkel boats went out and 1-3 (?) Got in to trouble / sunk. Port Captain was given a lot of grief over it.
So far 4 1/2 of the last 5 days the port has been closed and while I, and most divers I know have been disappointed, the general feel is that the closures have been justified.
Yeah, we were out with 3P in the mid-morning once things got loaded at the marina. Was actually a lot better out than I expected - nobody on our boat had issues getting back in the boat, ride was not overly bumpy. But it was definitely the right call to close it back up in the later afternoon.

Wow! It's going to get warmer here north of Lubbock than in Cozumel today. o_O

The airport there is reporting 16 mph winds from the NNE, right down the channel, so I'd expect it to be rough and the port captain considering closure?

1699289222550.png

Wow! It's going to get warmer here north of Lubbock than in Cozumel today. o_O

The airport there is reporting 16 mph winds from the NNE, right down the channel, so I'd expect it to be rough and the port captain considering closure?

View attachment 809409
Actually it was very calm this afternoon coming back in

My group suffered through the mess from 31 Oct 2023 to 6 Nov 2023. Only got two dives on 5 November. Every morning I looked at the water and ironically, the water was often better on days before they opened the port for a short while on the 5th. If they would let the boats go out early and return by about noon, they would have been better off. I would have taken my 23 ft center console out in water like I saw on most days. On the second dive getting back in the boat was dicey.
What is really sad is that when the port is closed, the whole island is closed to ALL water sports. Check out this picture on 2 November and tell me why I should not be in the water? There were a lot of unhappy folks and many threatening to never return.

Chipb

Attachments

• 20231102_111447.jpg
    20231102_111447.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 46
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom