Am I progressing too fast?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right now I'm just in the process of talking to the instructor, as we're both busy for the immediate future (they're involved in a project and I'm in college). It's sometime in May, but that's as specific as we're able to get at the moment.

When I completed my OW I had just 7 dives, the 4 required for the OW and 3 fun dives done between OW dives 2 and 3. first dive after OW was from a boat to 22m, next dive after that again from a boat was to 31.7m. I then had one 20m sea dive and 3 fresh water quarry dives to less than 20m before doing my deep diver (40m) cert. I completed my deep diver cert in the minimum number of dives. Some think that is far too fast a progression, I am happy with it. Does it mean I am fully competent to dive at 40m, I would say no, certainly not in all conditions. When it does mean is that I am comfortable in decent conditions at 30 - 35m and know what the risks are and what I need to do to be safe. It also means I am really looking forward to my next diving holiday (10 days in Lanzarote in 2 weeks time) knowing that I can do any of the dives and for the first time in 3 holidays not having the pressure of dive training. I would say, so long as you are comfortable go for certs ASAP and enjoy putting into practice what you learn afterwards.

I'm specifically not aiming for a tech pass, as I won't be taking the class in doubles. I'd like to earn a rec pass, but I won't feel the class was a waste if I don't.
Tech pass is only 1 day extra, so no problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom