Free 60+ page eBook - Under Pressure - Applying Human Factors to Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLOC

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Martin Parker's presentation at Eurotek this weekend highlighted that the majority of the causal and contributory factors in CCR fatalities are down to either the variability of human performance or the poor interface between human and machine which are based on the assumptions of how humans should operate/behave. Those same factors are also applicable to recreational and technical open circuit diving.

The premise of my book, which is close to being with the editor and will be published in Feb/Mar 2019, is about improving performance by understanding human fallibility and excellence.

To get people interested in this topic, I have written a 60+ page eBook which contains three of the chapters and is free to download from the link below. The eBook contains numerous stories from real divers about their successes and failures and why they happened.

https://www.thehumandiver.com/p/under-pressure-free-ebook.

Enjoy the reading. The feedback so far has been very positive.

Regards

Gareth

Well folks I had a very quick look at Gareths ebook download that I had requested
found many pieces that the other publications are missing, and so with out further
ado, took him up on his offer and purchased a Micro class & book. Now when I
opened it again I went in a bit deeper this time looking for specifics that would
really validate my purchase.

Here is a glimpse of a chapter with many in between paragraphs I have omitted
which are the specifics I went in search of.

“The Sharp End and the Blunt End”

“Within any system involving people, there is a ‘sharp end’ and a ‘blunt end’. The ‘sharp end’ consists of those people who execute the plan against the ‘rules’ of the game which have been written.”

“The ‘blunt end’ consists of those in the organisations who write the international, local, organisational and company standards, policies and ‘rules’ which the ‘sharp end’ must use to execute their role. Often those in these positions have very little contact with those at the ‘sharp end’, which means their view of the world is different.”

“Often, it is much simpler to blame the fallible human because the more we blame those at the ‘sharp end’, the less we have to do to examine the ‘blunt end’ and find the systemic failures which are present. If ‘human error’ is consistently attributed, it probably says more about the organisation or culture than it does about the individual.”

So thanks GLOC

My idea on just one of many positives I have gleaned and only from a small sample of the book is
when all the information from this book is absorbed
the inadequate training excuse no longer holds water

I do hope that the middle aged newly qualified rescue diver last Saturday whose tank slipped
out of his personal bcd will become aware or decides to participate in what is Human Diving

happy diver
Almost fifty years of thinking under water recreationally to 100M

Thanks. Nice to hear that someone got something useful from it :)

Regards

Gareth

More than 2100 people have downloaded this free eBook now. Thank you.

I have now received the first commented manuscript back from the editor. We are now looking at the first two weeks in March for this to be released. It will be in paperback to start with and a Kindle version released asap and you'll be able to buy it from Amazon, Waterstones and my website.

Back
Top Bottom