Do I go for IDC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Olddiver1950 if you are doing all of that for your local shop, they should run you through an instructor for free if they want you to teach for them and you want to do it. I would see if they will make you an AI for free instead which makes you more valuable to the instructors but doesn't put the hassle of teaching for a shop on your shoulders
In your situation this is most likely what I would do. If the shop gave you the AI course free that would be a nice thing to strive for if it's simply something more to do in retirement. Everyone knows my view of DMing without pay.

So here's the situation: I'm 68, been diving for 20 years but seriously for about 10. Currently a DM and assist my shop at every possible time. Just committed to DM for every class in 2019. Retired engineer so income is not required but shop credit for trips and toys would be great. I do get discounts as DM but that's it. Wife loves diving, I love diving, will dive as long as the body holds out and the good Lord allows. So, is it worth the $4k+ price to get IDC or better to hang as DM, "support the students" and put that $4K toward trips and toys???
Your experiences and advice is really welcomed! Thanks
Turning 68 in April 2019, have been an instructor with different facilities since 1971, multiple agencies. Retired from corporate job 1999. Still teaching at times 2 private ow courses or more per week for a busy facility here in NY and group class every other weekend. I say if you are physically fit to meet demands of job and are sure of a position to teach at the facility , go for it. Be aware of expenses involved and you should have a good estimate on how long it would take to recover expenses. If it takes more than 2 months do not bother as it shows that the shop,facility is not very busy. Only thing negative I see for you is your limited number of dives over 20 years, works out to 10 dives a year.

Decision made....DM forever. I decided to utilize the cash that IDC would cost for trips and equipment. Shop owner agreed that once I buy the first shop BCD I would be given (well, not "given" but sell old and given discount on new to break even) a new BDC each year that I am active in DM'ing so I can be one of the folks demo'ing the shop equipment. So that's one worry gone. And there are lots of instructors that I love to work with so the best of all worlds. I'm drinking beer while they are doing paperwork. Done deal

Decision made....DM forever. I decided to utilize the cash that IDC would cost for trips and equipment. Shop owner agreed that once I buy the first shop BCD I would be given (well, not "given" but sell old and given discount on new to break even) a new BDC each year that I am active in DM'ing so I can be one of the folks demo'ing the shop equipment. So that's one worry gone. And there are lots of instructors that I love to work with so the best of all worlds. I'm drinking beer while they are doing paperwork. Done deal
Sounds like a great outcome - you get the "free" gear (ask about getting regs serviced at discount as well as you will be giving them a lot more wear and tear than most would with general diving) and the joy of watching people get into this wonderful underwater world but don't get the additional costs & headaches of being an instructor. Win win IMHO.

Great decision! I'm just getting into being a DM (still a DMC at the moment) but in helping with the OW classes so far, I notice the students typically will consult the DM before they will the instructor on most things. Gear setup questions, "hey how do you do this?", stuff like that. And I like that. It's like they identify more with the DM and they seem to develop a more personal relationship than with the instructor. And it's a really good feeling.

So here's the situation: I'm 68, been diving for 20 years but seriously for about 10. Currently a DM and assist my shop at every possible time. Just committed to DM for every class in 2019. Retired engineer so income is not required but shop credit for trips and toys would be great. I do get discounts as DM but that's it. Wife loves diving, I love diving, will dive as long as the body holds out and the good Lord allows. So, is it worth the $4k+ price to get IDC or better to hang as DM, "support the students" and put that $4K toward trips and toys???
Your experiences and advice is really welcomed! Thanks

NO! As others have said, you'd just be out $4,000 and for what? Also keep in mind the greater risk and liability being an instructor. I stopped DMing and chose not to pursue being an Instructor (as a side hobby not as a profession) primarily because of my fear of the liability. That wasn't the only reason but it was a significant factor. I dive for fun and don't need that.

Great decision! I'm just getting into being a DM (still a DMC at the moment) but in helping with the OW classes so far, I notice the students typically will consult the DM before they will the instructor on most things. Gear setup questions, "hey how do you do this?", stuff like that. And I like that. It's like they identify more with the DM and they seem to develop a more personal relationship than with the instructor. And it's a really good feeling.

That is my experience also. And the nice thing is I do recognize my role and don't infringe on the instructor's realm but I am able to be a bit more free with my interaction because, as you say, the DM seems to get closer to students. Also, as DM I find I can give little shortcut hints that an instructor isn't supposed to do, kind of like in math class they had to teach the theoretical way before they told us the way it's done in the real world. I really like encouraging students when they get frustrated while the instructor has a set protocol. It's just darned fun! Keep at it, I think you'll love it.

dm has liability, and more knowledge and experience lets you make the best choice , as a dm the instructor right or wrong makes the liability choices NOT the dm but you still take that liability ride ... I would rather be the guy making the choices that way I can mitigate the exposure .also the DM can not break standards (maybe shortcuts ) if the standards wont allow them . if a dm broke standards on my watch he/she would be gone

@Olddiver1950
"Decision made....DM forever. I decided to utilize the cash that IDC would cost for trips and equipment. Shop owner agreed that once I buy the first shop BCD I would be given (well, not "given" but sell old and given discount on new to break even) a new BDC each year that I am active in DM'ing so I can be one of the folks demo'ing the shop equipment. So that's one worry gone. And there are lots of instructors that I love to work with so the best of all worlds. I'm drinking beer while they are doing paperwork. Done deal "
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hombre
Good decision !
Now become the best DM ever minted …

I would have a serious set down chat with the shop owner-- you are eligible for and should receive what is known in the industry as Key Man price...It is based on a being a key man who is visible and involved with student training -- the discount is/was generally below wholesale price.

I also checked on where you reside- sounds like the snow bound equitant of Silicone Valley. May I also suggest that you utilized your expertise and begin a research project on the dive subject of your choice and become the local - state or even national expert on that subject and lecture to the dive classes and perhaps local community if appropriate. .

In my family the devotion to diving and the underwater world represents many years and is now encroaching on 4 generations of divers.....FYI may I suggest that you read the following
~~ Sam Miller III: ScubaBoard's first "Scuba Legend" ~

Good luck in your new endeavor

Sam Miller, 111

dm has liability, and more knowledge and experience lets you make the best choice , as a dm the instructor right or wrong makes the liability choices NOT the dm but you still take that liability ride ... I would rather be the guy making the choices that way I can mitigate the exposure .also the DM can not break standards (maybe shortcuts ) if the standards wont allow them . if a dm broke standards on my watch he/she would be gone

Sorry, I used the term "supposed to" incorrectly. I couldn't agree more and I certainly do not "break any standards"! What I meant was hints on buoyancy, hints on alternate methods to clear masks, hints on what I observe with inflator hose utilization that the instructor doesn't necessarily notice because he/she is working with all the students and I can stand back in my appointed position and observe others while instructor is working with individuals. So no, NEVER break standards! But can advise on breathing as it correlates to buoyancy, etc. I'm not surre I sid anything about "breaking standards."

Back
Top Bottom