San Diego in January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To throw salt in the wound, La Jolla Shores this morning was probably the clearest I've ever seen it with +40ft vis. Unfortunate that you missed it by a week...

As Arnold says. I’LL BE BACK

I had six feet vis on a reef yesterday. At the dive shop today I was talking to a guy who dived near there this morning. He shot wide angle and you could clearly see thirty-forty feet. :(

@guyharrisonphoto

Guy
There is a mute point in your disappointment --

California - especially LA, Orange and San Diego Counties are the locations recreational diving began. On occasion the weather does not agree with planned diving activity - from a boat or from shore.

I presented to you alternatives .La Jolla Cove as related to the 1949 Nat Geo article ("Goggle fishing in California Waters," Vol ZCV #5,May 1949) and of course Scripps and the aquarium which you visited as a poor mans alterative to diving.

It may be appropriate to create a list of historical dive locations in LA, Orange and San Diego counties .. Areas such as
LA Co - Rene's Sporting goods in Westwood, US Divers on Pico etc
Orange County - Divers cove -and the locations of all the manufacturing companies etc
San Diego as previously mentioned etc

Guy et al would it be of value and could it be accomplished on this board ?

Sam Miller, III

CCs
@MaxBottomtime
@scubadada
@SoCalRich
@JXT71
@NorthernLights
@tep
@biggpa

@broncobowsher

I had six feet vis on a reef yesterday. At the dive shop today I was talking to a guy who dived near there this morning. He shot wide angle and you could clearly see thirty-forty feet. :(

Max, you just need a new camera to get good visibility.

Bummer, Sorry you hit a bad spot in our sunny SoCal weather. I hope you get a chance to dive here soon. Fla. keys are one of my top two places to dive.
Good Divin,
SoCalRich

Max, you just need a new camera to get good visibility.
We took our friend Andy to the big pipe off El Segundo on Sunday and couldn't see my hand. We aborted the dive immediately. Two days later, Andy was diving on the Star of Scotland and had easily twenty-five feet vis. Like the OP, my timing is off.

We are planning to do some boat dives, but since I won't have been in the water in 6 months, I want to do some shore diving first. Is La Jolla Cove or Shores safe to dive if I am unfamiliar with it? Also, do we need a flag in that area? Trying to decide if we need to hire a DM to take us out or whether we will be fine navigating by ourselves.

The Shores is quite safe for any capable diver. Your biggest environmental inconveniences would be low vis, ~60F temp, and a quarter-mile surface swim out n back.
If someone were to hire me to guide them at the Shores, we would enter the water out from Vallecitos Rd and surface swim towards a white buoy. Ultimately, we'd be south of the road (but north of the buoy), lined-up halfway with the LJS Hotel, and drop down to 25ft. Then we'd head west to the wall which would start at around 40ft. The wall would provide easy natural nav, and the bulk of the dive would involve checking it out. We'd follow that back north for a couple hundred yards. Once we ran out of easily-followed Wall (not allowing ourselves to be lured past 60ft), we could head to shore following the slow incline back east for a continuous safety stop. We'd pop up around the main lifeguard tower about a hundred yards north of Vallecitos. If the dive had to end a bit earlier (or later, on a return following the wall), heading in from the wall would have us surface in front of Kellogg Park.
I'd probably do something like that.

I can't say much for the Cove right now. Been meaning to get out there, but this recent weather keeps blowin in whenever I get a chance. You do not need a flag for either location. Basic UW Nav skills and compass should serve you just fine.

Many thanks. I think I am going to find a DM to take us out. That way I would be able to enjoy the dive rather than have to worry about finding my way back.

If it's in the cards, the Marissa offers some shallow dives and can provide a additional DM as well. I hope the weather breaks son.
Good Divin,
SoCalRich

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom