New vs Used vs older - AI consoles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

baggins_69

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
looking to upgrade from my old 3 gauge console to an AI console computer.

if I go new, it is likely an Aqualung i550c (yay Bluetooth) but we are looking at $600 or so (x2 because wife so $1200).

I could also get older used consoles like an Aeris Atmos 300AI or similar for ~$150 or a newer but still used i550 for ~$300

other than Bluetooth and being new, are there any significant functional advantages between the Aeris and the i550c? have the nitrogen models significantly changed?

use case is ~20 dives/year 90% warm water <60' with occasional cool water (~45 deg at depth, summer in new England)

I have an air integrated computer similar to the 300ai (made by Subgear, I think). it is connected by a milflex hose. The original hose needed replacing and the replacement with a quick release was expensive.

I like it, I can read my air by either psi or minutes remaining. I don’t have to worry about transponder bettaries AND computer batteries. So I like the fewer potential failure points. I had an Aeris A500ai that lasted about 15+ years.

For the type of diving you are describing the aeris will probably be fine.

Here’s a thought. Go online and look for used like new AI dive computers. There were for example 2 almost new Suunto Eon Cores available without tank pods for 800 dollars. The sites I’m talking about are available from Facebook and you just search scuba for sale. Make sure since most of the Suunto Eon core computers will have warranty to get a copy of the purchase receipt so your covered. This goes for any dive computer. If not you are rolling the dice if you need warranty coverage. Same goes for tank pods/transmitters. The used market will save you tons of money but you need to do research, to ensure what your buying is good equipment. Also you can have a hose setup and still have a transmitter. I recommend having a gauge console with a pressure Gauge and maybe a module. My personal setup is the Suunto Eon core with tank pod and an aqualung i300c 3 gauge console. I have a whisky compass on the bottom. My wallet is not fat and I did a lot of shopping but when I pulled the trigger on my equipment I was able to get good quality for roughly half the cost of retail. Also all of my stuff has factory warranty. Good luck

Glenn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom