Sinus Squeeze

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Frank

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have problem with my sinuses almost every dive - I get a squeeze pain in the lower forehead area. Equalizing does not help a great deal and it slows my descents down quite considerably. Nasal sprays help a little but usually I have to go up a metre or so and wait for it to clear. I haven't had to abort a dive because of it but it is becoming tiresome - is there anything I can do or do I just grin and bear it?

You probably have some kind of restriction that is causing the squeeze. My advice would be to visit an ENT and see if they can find the cause.

R..

I have taken a time release decongestant when it felt like I needed something, it worked well.

Here is a post that I found back then when I had similar questions as you do...
Help Please: Recommended decongestants

Yup, if you are having a frontal sinus squeeze, that implies some sort of obstruction, usually "polypoid mucosa" (inflammatory thickening of the lining of the sinuses). In that area, you usually need a sinus CT to make the diagnosis, but of course a good exam by an ENT doc is necessary first.

My son has exactly that problem, and he stopped diving because of it. I offered to set him up with someone to clear out his frontal sinus polyp, but he's not interested (he's not as obsessed with diving as I am!).

Stuff like this will occasionally respond to medical therapy, depending on the specifics, but often and endoscopic sinus procedure is necessary to allow the frontal sinuses to ventilate and equalize during a dive.

If you want to PM me with your location, I may be able to give you a local referral.

+1 with @doctormike. Figure out the cause. Then you can address it properly.

I've had the same problem for years. At first nasal steroids took care of it. Then I occasionally needed a short course of high dose steroids + antibiotics. This culminated a dozen years later with sinus surgery, which helped a LOT. I continue to need nasal steroids, regular saline rinses, and VERY slow, controlled descents. Generally I have to go to ~ 10-15 feet at a slow pace, STOP for a couple minutes, then resume at a slow pace down. Push that envelope and I pay for it. But, I haven't missed a dive in years because of the problem.

Once in awhile when things seem more congested than normal I'll add in Afrin/oxymetozoline, and/or pseudofed. People with known allergies may need other medications and possible changes in their exposure profile if possible.

Also, nasal irrigation. A great maintenance thing if you have nasal issues, with or without surgery. One of the few things in medicine that is safe (if you use clean water!), cheap and works.

Attached is my handout for this...

Attachments

• MR_Nasal_Irrigation.pdf
    57.6 KB · Views: 184
Great advice by @doctormike.
Suggestions as above:see the ENT doc and get it taken care of so you can dive without significant issues.

Also, nasal irrigation. A great maintenance thing if you have nasal issues, with or without surgery. One of the few things in medicine that is safe (if you use clean water!), cheap and works.

Attached is my handout for this...
I have been rising my nose for years, but I feel i never get high enough to rinse the upper sinuses. Maybe I do, I just do not feel it as much as the rest of the nose. Do you have any suggestions to get the rinse a little higher in the nose.

You really aren't rinsing the sinuses themselves, you are cleaning the drainage pathways in the mid-nasal airway that the sinuses eventually drain down into. So if you have symptoms in the forehead, you may have something like the OP's problem. Have you seen an ENT or had a scan?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom