Equalization problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MitchPh

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys im new here and just need some help as im drained and want to see if anyones had a similar issue,

I started diving in December last year, not a single problem with diving, probably dived on average 2-3 times a week until about end of January.

I got sick at the start of January, but was still diving fine (even did my advanced open water course), I couldnt dive for a few weeks in February and when I did a dive on the 2nd of March I couldn't equalize either ear and had a large pain in my forehead, I gave it a few weeks and tried again. This time I couldnt equalize my left ear at all and my left side of my face was in pain. I went to an ENT, we did a few tests and he said my right ear had an issue with pressure. He said it basically takes time and recommended me a nasal spray to use twice a day in both nostrils.

Its been a few weeks now and I try to equalize them every day, and sometimes both can pop, sometimes they both pop but it feels weird, sometimes 1 pops fine, other times none pop. I go overseas next week and I really wanted to dive but im just not sure what to do at the moment. Do I just give up and wait a few months?

Iv also tried to learn frenzel and iv only just gotten it this morning, and at the moment only my right ear pops.

How do you equalize? Have you tried multiple maneuvers? Frenzel is good, btw.

Whatever you do, take it slowly. Excessive force during equalization may make matters worse. It is okay if you don't want to get into your doctor's findings here, but I am curious what "issue with pressure" means. Do you have any allergies or physiological issues that prevent air flow in/out cavities?

Hi mate, I havnt actually tried frenzel underwater yet. Iv only just learnt the technique on land. I dont get allergies no and never had any issues with ears etc in past. I dont know the name of it but the test was basically a massive spike in the middle of the screen - he said that a normal ear should basically match that and my ear was just past it. Negative pressure maybe?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom