Ear suddenly felt wet at 20 meters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajunky17

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So last night I had a very sore throat at times and woke up with slight ear discomfort left side, both ears felt slightly swimmers ear, no throat pain and dived late afternoon today, equalise fine without pain but all of a sudden my right ear felt wet at twenty meters, no pain, can still equalise with no pain but never experienced an ear suddenly feeling wet.
Should I be concerned?

Having had numerous perforations in the same ear, I can tell you that the first few were very painful. The sensation of water in the middle ear is also very uncomfortable bordering on painful. I wouldn't describe it as a "wet" sensation, so wouldn't be overly concerned. That said, we are all different, go see a doctor. An ear drum perforation is relatively easy for your GP to exclude.

I don't believe you have any sort of ear drum perforation
Did you wear a hood ? "wet" sensation could also derive from a bit of colder water that found its way through.
In any case go to a doctor who can accurately inspect your ears.

So last night I had a very sore throat at times and woke up with slight ear discomfort left side, both ears felt slightly swimmers ear, no throat pain and dived late afternoon today, equalise fine without pain but all of a sudden my right ear felt wet at twenty meters, no pain, can still equalise with no pain but never experienced an ear suddenly feeling wet.
Should I be concerned?
@scubajunky17 : What part of your ear suddenly felt wet?

Also recommend that in the future you not dive if you have upper respiratory infection symptoms. You're at higher risk for barotrauma.

Best regards,
DDM

Just felt inside my ear going wet, but no pain, strange sensation. Ears kind of cleared the next day but after an hour snorkeling they felt a bit congested the next morning, dove yesterday no problems diving or equalising, today I cannot equalise so I will stay out of the water until it resolves. Only two diving days left after six weeks so I can't complain.

Just felt inside my ear going wet, but no pain, strange sensation. Ears kind of cleared the next day but after an hour snorkeling they felt a bit congested the next morning, dove yesterday no problems diving or equalising, today I cannot equalise so I will stay out of the water until it resolves. Only two diving days left after six weeks so I can't complain.
Going by this information (assuming you are differentiating your middle ear getting wet from your external ear canal, which is always wet when diving), a perforated tympanic membrane can't be ruled out. Ditto @scubadada , recommend you be seen by a provider who assess you in person.

Best regards,
DDM

Acute perforation is often accompanied by vertigo,
I have perforated my tm due reverse block and did not have any vertigo at all. Vertigo is due cold water entering middle ear and should last number of seconds until it reaches to body temperature. I was having a hood, I am guessing the sea water entering my ear was close to my body temperature. Longer lasting vertigo points to inner ear barotrauma. Imho sharp increasing pain that suddenly stops is best indicator for ruptured TM.
I think possibly one of these two scenarios involving middle ear, likely first one.
a) Mild middle ear barotrauma w/o perforation and fluid in middle ear is caused by the barotrauma. If middle ear is filled with fluid, it will feel like equalization is working because you cannot compress fluid.
b) MEBT with perforation, sea water may enter the middle ear make it feel like equalization is working because a cavity filled with fluid will not require equalization.
Either way, you need to keep your ears dry until qualified medical staff examines them.

Back
Top Bottom